free e-mail service that works with Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by swingerofbirch, Oct 4, 2006.

1. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Hi, can you please help me to help my grandmother help herself? ;)

My grandmother FINALLY got a Mac. She is not computer literate at all. She had a dell for years that she barely used.

Now that she has an iMac (the new $999 model), I have been helping her set it up. I never knew someone could find a Mac so complicated....anyhow, she signed up for Qwest DSL. Apparently she has a cheap plan that does not include an e-mail account. So, the tech support guy helped her set up a yahoo account.

The problem is she gets really angry and doesn't understand that anytime there is an option to mail something, ie from iPhoto or PhotoBooth that it brings up Mail. She'll say where is my Yahoo?

I doubt she's up for the idea of paying another $99 for dotmac. So I was wondering, as I've never used Mail with anything but dotmac,, can yahoo or gmail or any other free e-mail account be used with Mail?

Would it be IMAP or POP? I know I prefer IMAP, although it might not make a difference to her.

OK, thanks for any help!!!!

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Gmail will work with Mail - it's what I use it with. You'd have to set up a POP account, but the Gmail help section lays it all out really well. Yahoo Mail won't work in the free version, but the paid version allows you to use it with a POP account.

3. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Yup, Gmail is the way to go. Gimme a shout on markleshark [at] gmail [dottttttty] com if you need an invite. I have about 100, hehe.

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Gmail(as stated), yahoo...knock yourself out buddy.

Bless

5. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Gmail is amazing, its the best free service i had ever used........

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

7. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Another vote for Gmail. Their spam filters are unbelieveable.

8. the Western zoo macrumors 6502

the Western zoo

I use GMX cause it has been around since before Gmail and has offered the same so I never found Gmail that interesting! The only catch is that it is in German...

9. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

edit: eh... ignore me, apparently I don't know what i'm talking about

10. Star Destroyer macrumors 6502

I am trying to use Mail with Gmail right now, i cant seem to find it in the help section at all :( someone wanna post a link, or help me find it?

11. imacintel macrumors 68000

IF you get a yahoo.ca account, and sign up for Yahoo! Delivers, you can get POP email.

12. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Check here.

13. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

go to www.gmail.com, enter your username+password, click Settings on top right corner, click Forwarding and POP, then click Configuation Instructions. Enjoi!

14. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I'm using AOL (now free), it works great with mail, plus you get more storage than Gmail.

Also, Gmail is POP, meaning you download each message to your computer, while AOL is IMAP, meaning all messages are stored on AOL's servers and Apple Mail acts as your email reader (best if you have more than one computer). ...but really it's just a matter of opinion.

15. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Most of the major vendors work, in some way, with Mail.app. Some require .mailbundles and others, like Gmail, work straight away.

16. Star Destroyer macrumors 6502

Okay, i thats cool, BUT i cant use it because my Mail has never been opened since i bought my macbook, so it goes through that introduction thingy..
    When i click the 'mail' field on the top bar prefernces is not something i can access since my 'mail' program is still on 'New Account"

I am starting from the "welcome to mail" thing..
    hrmmmmmm...

17. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

just read the instructions, and add information as Mail.app asks for it. When its finished, go back into the preferences and make sure all the fields are filled in :)

18. Star Destroyer macrumors 6502

Yeah thanks guys, I am super tired and didnt feel like reading the whole gmail help thing, so i just figured it was wrong from teh start :( sorry..

I got it going and i am now learning how to use it..
    Is it easier then just using Gmail? i should think so since everyon is using it rather then Gmail.. haha
    Just wondering..

19. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Well, it is gmail, it just allows you not have to use a web browser to check your mail. I know so many people who do that, where they use a web browser to check there mail. I tell them to use mail and it will work just fine, but they think it is even more complicated, I think the exact opposite.

Mail is nicely integrated into the entire OS, so anytime you want to email something from another program, it will ask you to do it with Mail.

20. Nuks macrumors 6502a

i followed the gmail instructions, but the way they have the how-to set up, it's not exactly how mail does it. Some things are a bit different, and therefore, I can't figure it out.

Any help?

21. SBik2 macrumors 6502a

SBik2

22. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

23. SBik2 macrumors 6502a

SBik2

24. fireball370 macrumors member

how does one acquire numeous invites? :)

25. dreamsINdigital macrumors 6502