Free Energy?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by stubeeef, Aug 17, 2006.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060817/sc_nm/technology_energy_dc_1

Could solve some political problems as well. OK all ya physics brains, jump on this.

2. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

The only way to truly get FREE energy is to develop some sort of zero-point energy extractor that can pull energy from the quantum level (10^-33 cm) scale... at that level, it's believed that energy is constantly being created and destroyed (so as to conserve ZERO energy). If you could separate the two sides of the equation from each other, you could harness each side and get "free" energy.

Of course, the technology to do this is probably hundreds of years in the future, if ever.

See Arthur C. Clarke (3001: The Final Odyssey, The Songs of Distant Earth) et al for more on zero-point energy.

4. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

There is no such thing as free energy. It's entirely possible that we get more energy out in one form than we put in in one, but if we do, then there must also be another force acting on it.

Nobody really knows exactly how magnetism works, so we can't say that the energy being created by magnets is 'free'.

Mind you though, I don't know how they do this so I'm still undecided. It would be really cool if they could do this though. License it to Apple only, and let the Dells keep on bursting into flames :p

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, that or run an extension cord to the neighbor's outdoor outlet.

Of course, things like solar and wind energy are, effectively, free after the initial investment.

6. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

True. The problem is that solar panels are still expensive and no one has yet developed a way to put a giant farm of them in orbit, where there's no cloud cover, so that they can beam energy down to the surface.

And windmills are hated by NIMBYs because they ugly up the skylines of ridges and because sometimes they kill birds.

7. Timepass macrumors 65816

I also might like to add is on solar pannels wind and all that stuff we are getting close to there maxium theorical effiency. Solar pannals are being pretty close to there max (30%ish or so) right now. So is most of our renewible sorces of engery. They are just being push to there max theoricial effiecny.

Now I really dont seem him breaking the first law and I dont buy it.

(just for random infomation you know you car is only like 30-40% effience and the max we can push it is about 60%)

8. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

well its not 'free'. The article clearly says you need to put mechanical energy in....

Ok so this could be by a wind turbine but to me the 'free' in this article is the wrong word to use. A more 'efficient' method for generating energy is in my mind more accurate.

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

According to the article's source, you put a small amount in and get a large amount out - some of which you could put back in, thus making it produce energy from nothing.

If true, it's free.

It's likely not true, though.

10. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

I've been told that if you irradiate lead with a beam of sun light passing a 6.66 carat diamond at 3:14pm on the summer solstice, you can turn it into to gold. :rolleyes:

:p

The only things that get free energy are bacteria, and by extension so do we: oil is a mineral resource and hence is free for us to take. Furthermore you need less energy to produce it that its production yields. This free energy however has two major drawbacks:
    1) reserves are not infinite
    2) people fight over the damn stuff (because it's free) and drive its price to stupid levels...

11. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Yes, but you forgot that the irradiation must take place for exactly 42 seconds. Any less and nothing happens. Any more and Earth gets vaporized.

Amen.

It would be great to have a perpetual motion device... but until I the physicists finish their study I'll continue to fill up at the local shell station. ;)

12. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

13. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Sorry. Oil is decayed plant material, not a "mineral resource".

14. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Sorry, but [crude] oil is in fact decayed organic material of various origins (mostly bacterial; plants typically produce coal, lignite, etc.) and is considered to be a rock just like granite, limestone or coal. ;) :p

But I agree the term "natural resource" is best suited. Please bear in mind I posted at 1:18am. :eek:

Don't get pedantic on rocks with a geologist. ;)

15. Motley macrumors 6502

People are always pulling these scams. Nothing but B.S.

16. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Nice of them to turn it into an open challenge, but I doubt anything will ever come of this. What's this company's background? I mean, how long have they been around and what have they been up to until now?

17. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

18. Queso macrumors G4

The "cold fusion" effect was later explained to be caused by the electron in Hydrogen atoms falling into a previously unknown orbit closer to the nucleus and releasing energy as it did so. Hundreds of teams across the world have stated that they replicated the experiment and published their findings in scientific journals. Martin Fleischman and Stanley Pons continued to work on it and developed prototype vehicles powered by ordinary water for Toyota, but it's gone very quiet for the past few years.

19. Uma888 macrumors 6502

didnt Nikola Tesla design something that would generate energy via the kinetic energy created by the earths rotation?

20. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

He probably theorized about it.

It is true that the Earth itself contains enough energy (heat within its molten core, plus kinetic, magnetic, etc.) to power a civilization like ours for MILLIONS of years, if not longer... if only we could harness it. And if we could do that, we'd surely have solved most of our other existing problems already.

21. Metatron macrumors 6502

Metatron

Not being a physics genius by any means, I think that we can all agree that there is enough energy in the universe to make it free for everyone and that eventually, even though many would disagree, we will find a way to get all the free energy we need. Like Clay said, it really has less to do with producing free energy, but more of a way to harness it. Energy makes up everything, we just need a really advanced lighting rod. I personally beleive that mankind already has. But the sudden discovery and implementation of a device like this would cripple economies and start wars. Because of this, you can be sure that it won't be released next tuesday or many tuesdays after that.

22. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

ah, that's the reason they never released the Powerbook G5. Because we could harness the excess energy from the processor heat to produce electricity. now everthing is clear......

23. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

FWIW there are rumors this could just be a viral marketing effort, perhaps for Halo 3.

B

24. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

(link)

I'm glad to see that they're already preparing their Big Coverup angle. No perpetual motion machine is complete without one!

Next up will be a non-stop series of problems beyond their control. All will somehow interfere with their earnest desire to get prototypes in the hands of the thousand or so researchers who have already signed up to their challenge. :p

25. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Where do you find these rumours?