Free fix for Hard drive error?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Nuks, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Nuks macrumors 6502a

I'm using a Quantegy 80 gig firewire external, and it won't mount. Repairing disks comes up as an "invalid b-tree node". I was looking around for some fixes and all I could find was DiskWarrior (90 bucks). As it is my brother's drive and I was just hoping to use the left over space, is there any way to remedy the problem without spending money? If I restore the disk do I lose all data?

Thanks.

2. Nuks thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alright, talked to him last night and he said he doesn't want to spend 90 bucks for diskwarrior, so it's either a restore or somehow fix the hard drive. Anyone know anything?

Thanks.

3. Angrist macrumors 6502

It's either DiskWarrior or a wipe and replace.

Keep in mind that these thing don't usually happen in a vacuum, sometimes the drive is dying, the HD controller is flakey, or your RAM is bad and making mis-writes. If the problem persists even after a "fix", then you'll need to look for other solutions.

That being said ... Diskwarrior has saved my butt often enough that I can tell you it's worth getting. If you don't have Intel machines, then scrounge around for a used copy of the older version (3.0.3 IIRC), I got one from some dude on another forum for $20.

4. Nuks thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alright, he said I could restore it, but I'm not completely sure how/what to do and I don't want to potentially mess anything up if I can help it. How do I go about using Disk Utility to restore the drive?

Thanks.

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

What do you mean by restore? What do you plan to restore? An OS? Files from a different backup? The restore tab in Disk Utility is for images that you made in Disk Utility. So if you don't have a backup, you can't restore anything.

You basically have two options like Angrist said. Pay $$ to try to repair and save your files, or format the drive and lose everything.

6. Nuks thread starter macrumors 6502a

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it working.

Thanks for the help everyone.