Free Frequency Analysis Software

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by steve_hill4, Apr 9, 2006.

1. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Could anyone point me in the direction of a free app for OS X which will allow me to analyse the frequency spectrum of a sound file, (likely to be WAV, AIFF or FLAC or SHN if I don't convert to analyse)?

I trade in lossless audio of live concerts and it is important to ensure that the quality is preserved. The easiest and quickest way to do this is to play each track for a few seconds and see what the frequency looks like. I already have the software to convert the audio files into wav and/or aiff, so that isn't a problem.

Thanks to anyone who can help me. Remember, this has to be free as this isn't really a profession or hobby that you spend vast sums on. Just lots of blank discs, software/torrents to share the material and apps to test and convert.

2. steve_hill4 thread starter macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Seems okay, but I can't find a way of getting it to plot a track with amplitude against frequency. That's what I'm really after as it's the quickest and easiest way to see what's going on. Thanks anyway.

I've used Cool Edit in the past on Windows and that showed me exactly what I wanted. Ideally, I would like that for Mac and free. If there are any shareware apps like it though, I'm willing to check them out too.

3. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Yeah, I don't know of any freeware (or even resonably priced shareware) that has an spectral analysis as good as Cool Edit's. It's too bad, too. (In other words, I'm commenting partly so that I can see if you get any answers :p)

4. steve_hill4 thread starter macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

I've just changed a few settings and it get's close to something I could work with. I would still be interested in any alternatives that could get tossed up.

5. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Tried Audio Xplorer? It is a bit clunky, but it might be what you want.

6. steve_hill4 thread starter macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

I have tried that actually and that is exactly what I am after. However it only gives me the real time frequency spectrum for the built in mic or line in. When it comes to playing back a file, I can only see the spectrum at sample points.

I'll keep looking and also ask elsewhere to broaden my prospects. Thanks all.

7. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

I'm sorry I have no clue what a good analyzer is but a search on VersionTracker gives plenty of results if you want to try out different apps.

irmongoose