Free G4 donated, which G4 should i get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by tonywalker23, Jun 19, 2005.

1. tonywalker23 macrumors regular

Dec 21, 2003
    a guy at church got about 20 G4's in his warehouse and told me i could come over and take a look at them and pick one out. i have a powerbook but i know VERY little about powermac G4's except there are like 6-8 different kinds of G4 desktops. i do not know yet what kind he has but when i go over there, if there are multiple versions, which ones are the best? which G4's are better?
    tony walker
  2. Mr Maui macrumors 65816

Mr Maui

Jul 19, 2002
    Whatever he has is a gift. Never forget that there is One who is looking out for you, Tony. Take whatever is provided and count your blessings. :)
  3. tonywalker23 thread starter macrumors regular

Dec 21, 2003
    i know, if he hands me one and says take this ill go home like a little kid with a new toy firetruck. but if he says here are 5 diff kind take which one you think is the best was my concern.
    "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning." James 1:17
  4. wPod macrumors 68000

Aug 19, 2003
    Denver, CO
    newer = better

so ask which are newer.
    in order of newness

mirrored door

check out

for a more comprehensive list of apples and when they were released

oh yeah. . . remeber to walk away, new PM in hand thanking him profusely (if you hug the guy, i think we would all understand!! heh)

. . . and if he, um, has any others that need a good home, let me know.
  5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
    All of the G4 PowerMac's are useful. They'll just need lots of RAM to run OS X smoothly. They're still great machines to web browse, listen to music, and do some office work on. I have an older PowerMac G3 and it runs 10.3.9 without choking.

LowEndMac has pictures and specifications of G3-G5 PowerMacs in the right column labeled "G3-G5 Models"

If you're willing to dig through the right sidebar on you can find all PowerMac G4's in chronological order.
  6. Huked on Fonick macrumors 6502

Jul 16, 2002
    1 Loop
    Look at the specs and chooce from there.EX. If one of them is a single processor MDD or a duel Sawtooth go for the sawtooth....... u gota look at the system as a #of procs, amount of ram, disk drives, hard drive size speed etc. If they are all old then try to go for something with more ram or bigger hard drive etc and drop a upgrade card into it. If they have newer sawtooths or MDD's try to get the one with the best processor and upgrade the rest...
  7. zap2 macrumors 604

Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    a cube, or a powermac 1.42, or a iMac G4 cuz the look cool
  8. G5Unit macrumors 68020

Apr 3, 2005
    I'm calling the cops
    Do you live in San Clemente? Because I live thier too and I would like to pick up a G4 for free! PM me!

P.S. I am relly sorry about what happend to your mother.