Free HD Space?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by theman5725, Dec 21, 2006.

1. theman5725 macrumors 6502

I'm running out of space on my MacBooks internal HD, and need to free some space. I heard there was a way to delete languages and extra drivers to get several GB of space. I've also heard this destroys Rosetta, which I certainly don't to be destroyed. Suggestions?

2. aspro macrumors 6502

3. theman5725 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, Xslimmer looks great! I'm downloading it right now.

4. PSUchris macrumors newbie

Just DON'T delete any of the architectures using monolingual.

5. theman5725 thread starter macrumors 6502

How do you prevent that? My xSlimmer trial already ran out so I'd like to use Monolingual. I haven't downloaded it yet though.

6. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

Yeah seriously, I deleted the architecture on my Macbook and couldn't figure out why Rosetta wouldn't run. Then I had to reinstall Tiger to get it working again :-/

7. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Uncheck EVERYTHING in the Architecture tab.

8. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

also, you can delete the iDVD themes (Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support > iDVD > Themes) and GarageBand loops (Macintosh HD > Library > Audio > Apple Loops > Apple).

9. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

and iWeb if you don't use it.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Considering that there's a post from someone who did that about once a week on MR, you'd think the authors of these programs would put in big blatant warnings against stripping architecture.... It's almost become a dead giveaway now when someone complains that no programs will run on their new Mac and they cannot install anything.

I personally have to say that I think getting rid of GB and iWeb are much better choices if you don't use them. Doesn't iMovie HD also take up a fair amount of space? Between the three you get back... what.... well over 2 gigs?

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Don't forget printer drivers.

I freed up a couple of gigs on my iBook by removing all the Epson printer drivers since I don't have an Epson printer.

B

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I thought the footprint of the whole default OS X install (not including iLife, etc) was only about 3-4 gigs... are you sure there are really 2 gigs of Epson drivers?

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It was definitely around a gig for just the Epson drivers. I was shocked. I eliminated a few other brands as well.

B

14. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Here are my recommendations:

- remove GarageBand, iDVD and iWeb if you do not need them - that should free up around 6 GB right there
    - check out /Library/Printers/ - 2 GB of printer drivers that you may or may not need
    - use OmniDiskSweeper (not free) or my personal favorite WhatSize (free) to determine what all is taking up room on your HDD and where it is
    - use Monolingual to remove the unnecessary language resources from your Mac
    - lastly, you could always use AppZapper to ensure that when you uninstall any programs that all those pesky sub-folders, etc. are deleted

And with Monolingual, yes, if you are using an Intel-based mac, uncheck all the Architectures selections or else Rosetta, among other things, will simply not work.

That should just about do it. :cool:

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I checked and stand corrected... my Tiger 10.4.8 /library/printers on my iMac is 1.55 gigs and 640MB in the Epson folder alone.

16. theman5725 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm going to delete languages and printer drivers, but I use the iLife suite so I'm not deleting them. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

17. Xavier macrumors 68020

Everything is taking up so much space these days..

18. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yep, it's just the way it is. I remember back when I wondered how on Earth I would ever fill up the 1 GB HD on my PC... in a few years it will all be about terabytes... :cool:

19. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

In my first year at Uni i only have a 12 Gb harddrive and now 3 years later I have about 800Gbs of harddrive space in total, crazy.

20. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

There are plenty of us around who remember 5 MB hard drives being a luxury item, back in the day of 400 KB floppies. :p It wasn't that long ago...

B

21. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Actually, it was. We just don't think so because we're old. If it makes you feel better, I remember running a whole hospital off a 20 MB drive. It was the size of a washing machine and shook like one too.

22. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

LOL. It was only 20 years ago or so, still within the Macintosh era.... OK, so that's probably older than most users on MR...

I've still got some 160K 8" floppies around somewhere.... :p

B

23. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

I was listening to a story the other day of somebody who just did some work for the Geogian health service, and they still run a 300 bed hosital of a PC no bigger than that!