Free iLife '07 in Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MXDT, Feb 8, 2007.

1. MXDT macrumors member

Now that Vista has its iLife like suite of Apps bundled in with their OS upgrade... think Apple include iLife '07 to keep in pace with them?

2. TheBobcat macrumors 6502

TheBobcat

Who knows, although if they are released together one would think they might consider a bundle price.

3. MXDT thread starter macrumors member

I think they will... otherwise it would have been released already, on schedule like all the other releases.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

No way. Note that OS X + iLife costs about what a low-end Vista does, so I wouldn't expect to see Apple bundle them.

As before, they'll put them on new Macs to help promote selling them.

5. Mr Mac Newbie macrumors member

Any idea when ilife 07 and Leopard are being released?

6. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Spring 2007.

--Eric

7. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

It only comes on the consumer machines though doesnt it? i.e. iMac, MacBook and Mini. Possibly MBP too. I don't think it is preinstalled on MacPros. I know it wasnt on my G5 but it was on my iBook and MacBook.

8. jmsait19 macrumors 6502

my mbp has it preinstalled...

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

It's on all Macs, including the Mac Pro.

My PMG5 came with it - you're certain yours didn't? That would surprise me.

10. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Yup. Although mine was one of the early Dual 1.8 G5s. :( Since then Ive paid for iLife 05 and 06.

11. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Why pay ... its free

iLife came free on my Mac mini, iMac and MacBookPro. I can only guess and hope that iLife 07 will come with the OS just as iLife 06 did.

I did have to pay for iWork however... so expectations are the same for iWork 07.:cool:

12. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Mine was one of the original 2.0's.

Hmmm....

*** tries to remember ***

Maybe it didn't come with it. That was in the late summer 2003 time frame... I think I was wrong, and that I bought iLife '04 and installed it. My apologies. :eek:

13. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I dont mind paying for it. It is well worth the money. I was under the impression the pro machines didnt come with it because my G5 didnt. :eek:

14. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

iLife 06 did not come with OS X. It ships with new machines, but it does not come with the OS. If you were to walk into a store and buy a copy of OS X Tiger it does not come with iLife 06 or any other iLife.

15. slashjunior macrumors regular

iLife came bundled free with my MacBook. I had to pay for iWork though. Although this isn't too suprising as Microsoft don't bundle in Office with Windows. Apparently the only edge Vista has is its Media Centre part, although with Apple TV coming out it doesn't concern me that much.

16. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

As much as i wish :apple:Apple would bundle them, its just not going to happen. It will come on the new machines, like always and thats going to be the extent of it. Those new to Apple are buying a new computer not a new operating system so theres no reason to have it bundled with Leopard.

17. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

All of my Pro Machines came with iLife without a doubt (I just checked, it is on the install disks right here). And this includes the last revision PM G4.

Now, when you do a reinstall, it does not install iLife in the initial install, you must install the extra applications after your first set up. Maybe this is why you thought you didn't get it.

Also, you have to buy upgrades, so you may have bought one of those.

EDIT: Apple's website clearly lists iLife as included applications with the Mac Pro.

On Topic:
    I would be shocked if Apple bundled iLife with Leapard. It used to be free and then they started charging for it so they won't go back. Besides, to buy them separately is only $200, still less than the equivilent Vista version (not all Vista's come with MS iLife like apps).

18. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

I certainly recall every PowerMac G5 coming with iLife.

As for bundling, I think it is a big possibility, maybe with a full copy of iWork included on every Mac replacing iLife as the additional you don't get with upgrade discs. they could continue to promote it as iLife, but just effectively have a full copy of iLife with Leopard.

19. Variant macrumors 6502

Variant

iLife 07 will have Leopard's new GUI, therefore they cannot release/preview it before they show us what the final version of Leopard will look like. /speculation

20. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

very true