Free internet in the U.S?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Bunzi2k4, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Bunzi2k4 macrumors 6502

i've taken a quick look around, and i've found that no one gives dial-up internet to Macs... why is that? in UK, i've found hundreds of free dial up services that work with mac or pc, but none in the U.S, has any1 else found any? i'm going on vacation in april, and i figured i can use my sony ericsson t616 as a bluetooth modem for my laptop, but i've had no luck at all. if you have any information that could help me, i would appreciate it a lot. Thanks

Bunzi2k4

2. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

I don't think the dial-up ISPs over here are free....that's probably your problem. They all want subscription fees, but most of the major ones will support Mac or PC.

You might consider using Internet cafes for your email and surfing needs, depending on where you're going to go.

3. windowsblowsass macrumors 6502a

yeah uno and net zero ere free now their what $10 bucks a month so ya know what just pay $10 and make it easy on your self

4. Bunzi2k4 thread starter macrumors 6502

i don't think there are any internet cafe's on where i'm going... Netzero and juno are still free, but you can't get it with a mac...

5. windowsblowsass macrumors 6502a

are you sure i know they merged and i know ive seen ads for $10 dollars for them but if they dont work with mac theres probably local isp that can help you out for cheap 10 15 bucks ps where are you going

6. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

BZZZTT! Wrong!

Juno supports both OS X and OS 9. Take a look @ their site:
    http://www.juno.com/

7. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Correct!

Yet you are still

WRONG!

He wants a FREE ISP with Mac Support, which I can basically put this thread to rest RIGHT now saying:

Your out of luck, in the U.S once NetZero merged with Juno All hopes died out. Sorry.

8. Bunzi2k4 thread starter macrumors 6502

*sigh* that's what i thought... man... internet sux. making you pay $50 for broadband internet... and $10 for other junk..... o well...

9. Bunzi2k4 thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't know they merged till recently although, i did find it odd how both web-sights looked familiar... lol

10. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

Aren't you going to be close to a college or anywhere with Wi-Fi, or an ethernet cable and a network you can borrow?

11. Bunzi2k4 thread starter macrumors 6502

Umm... does Lake Tahoe have a college?!?!?!?!??!?!?

12. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

\
    Not sure. A quick Google search told me that it's a tourist-y place. I think you'll find a connection somewhere.

13. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

good luck getting onto a college network, they don't let just anybody onto them. Most of them with wireless are MAC filtered and without a registration at the college, your going to have a hard time using them. Just cough up the 10 bucks, free internet basically went bust with the lines of the dot com's. Does free internet sound like a profitable business plan to you?

BEN

14. stoid macrumors 601

stoid