Free iPod Touch with Mac Purchase for College Students?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 2, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is expected to launch its Back to School promotion tomorrow, and on the eve of its launch, we've learned that Apple is indeed going to be making it their biggest ever.

According to our sources, Apple will be offering a free 8GB iPod Touch ($299) to college students who buy a qualifying Mac (MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iMac, Mac Pro). Alternatively, students may choose to get an 8GB iPod Nano ($199). The promotion will run from June 3 to September 15th, 2008.

With this aggressive promotion as well as the rumored 3G-capable iPhone launch, Apple is rapidly expanding their Touch OS X platform over the next few months, giving developers a large audience for their iTunes Store apps and games.

There remains one uncertainty, however. When Apple releases the 2.0 firmware for the iPhone and iPod Touch, iPod Touch owners will be required to pay a small fee for the upgrade. Customers who purchase an iPod Touch now may be required to pay this fee when the upgrade arrives in late June. More details may be available tomorrow or at WWDC next week. More details of the Back to School promotion, including eligibility should be officially announced tomorrow.

Article Link

2. macrumors 68040

Grimace

Holy iPod Touches Batman!! :eek::eek::eek: That would be an incredible deal!

3. macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

WOW! I wish I had to buy a MBP now instead of 2 years ago.... an iPod touch for free.... wow

4. macrumors 6502a

Applepi

Good to know as I will be purchasing a new Macbook Pro in the next few months.

5. macrumors 6502a

ert3

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 8gb: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

maybe this means a price drop is combing soon as well?

6. macrumors 68000

extraextra

Wow. Does this mean updates are imminent? Don't they do this when they want to clear stock? They did it with the minis and nanos.

7. macrumors 6502a

holy!!:eek:

now i wish i waited to buy my macbook =(

if its true....thats a crazy deal

8. macrumors regular

That's like 25% off if you planned on buying both anyways :eek:

9. macrumors P6

twoodcc

10. macrumors regular

I bought my first iMac at May 20th with my student discount.

I'm so sad. No free iPod touch for me? :(

11. macrumors regular

if this is in fact true, i wonder if you'll be able to use the $299 to subsidize a 3G iPhone purchase. That would be a super deal (and makes sense since college kids want the coolest thing on the market)

12. macrumors member

Wow, i hope this is true because it sound really good!!! 8gb touch is good!!
    We just have to wait and see tomorrow, I am going to get the MBP tomorrow since I need it for work :)

13. macrumors 68000

Am I Missing Something?? Why isn't the MBA included in this. I'm a student and am buying one next week.

14. macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Almost a good enough excuse to get another computer !! :D

15. macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

16. macrumors 65816

Squonk

Or, I wonder if you can use $299 toward an iPod Classic. [I already have an iPhone.] :cool:

17. Mal
    macrumors 603

Mal

Don't assume that it doesn't count. This article likely just overlooked the MBA. I can't imagine they wouldn't include it, the MBA and iPod touch are almost a perfect pair.

jW

18. macrumors member

Thats exactly what i thought!!

19. macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

+1, baby; me too!

20. macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

This is a really good deal. Makes it a good time to buy a new computer but I do, as other here, wonder why the MacBook Air isn't mentioned.

21. macrumors newbie

Tomorrow

Seeing that I intended to buy a new Macbook and 8GB iPod Touch tomorrow, you could say that I'm a bit happy.

22. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

an oversight on my part. my understanding is everything except the mac mini.

arn

23. macrumors regular

I hope the new Mac Books are ready before the sale ends.

24. macrumors 68020

Dmac77

That is a great deal, they have to be trying to clear stock on the ipod touches.

Now begins my rant. Why am I not considered a student to apple? I am going into the 10th grade, I am a considered a student by everyone, but not to apple. I have a valid student ID, but still I am not considered a student, because I don't attend college, yet. Apple really needs to apply their student discount to high school students!!!:mad: End Rant.

But really that is an amazing deal!

Don

25. macrumors 68000

Thanks for the correction arn, you had me scratching my head on that one. :apple::apple: