FREE iTunes video converter that is windows media player compatible output format

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Gaidin43, Aug 15, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

I have been looking for à solution to convert videos î bought from iTunes so I an play them through media browser inside windows media player.

The only ones I seem to be able to find are paid programs. Also these programs don't seem to be too reputable either.

Anyone have any suggestions?

2. macrumors 68000

The last time i checked, Windows MP was happily playing my m4v files from iTunes.
    Your problem with purchased movies from iTunes lies in DRM, not in file/stream format.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Ahhh. That would explain things. Is there a way I can strip the DRM through iTunes Match or some other program that would make it playable on WMP?

4. macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Nope. (At least, not that can be discussed on this forum.)

5. thread starter macrumors regular

I thought it was OK if you owned the rights to remove DRM for free use across your devices? Also I thought that was the whole point of iTunes match?

6. macrumors 68000

7. macrumors 603

Sure if you own the rights. However only the distributing studio's own the rights. You just own a viewing licenses copy.

It is a little ambiguous as to legality of removing DRM in the US.

Technically is a whole other ballgame. You would need software and don't know of any. It's not Apple that requires DRM but the film/TV industry.

8. macrumors Core

alphaod

Legally you can a backup copy without DRM.

Legally you cannot remove DRM because that would require you to violate the DMCA.

9. macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Ain't US laws great?

alphaod put it as simply as it can be put. There are CERTAIN exemptions to "no illicit decryption" of the DMCA, but digitally-downloaded movies are not among them.