Free iTunes Videos

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Aug 15, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has posted a free iTunes Video page that compiles their current free video episodes available for download.

The section currently contains 14 episodes from different series. The episodes primarily include promotional videos and pilot episodes, presumably in an effort to increase the audience for upcoming shows.

Apple's video section continues to grow with regular additions to their lineup. Many still expect Apple to introduce a dedicated Video iPod in the future. Recent announcements by Seagate for 60GB and 120GB 1.8" drives have sparked speculation that Apple could use these higher-capacity drives in future iPods.

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Time to save up for a video iPod. :D

3. macrumors 6502a

That's awesome. Way to make things easier to find. Maybe free downloads will get people interested in buying other episodes and what not.

4. macrumors 68020

wmmk

wow! neato!i hadn't even heard of some of these shows.

5. macrumors 6502a

Would you mind listing the shows. The link is blocked for me at work because it is an MP3/download service.

6. macrumors 6502a

ImAlwaysRight

FREE is always good.

But I thought someone said, "Nothing in life is ever free." There's always some catch. I guess you need to spend hundreds on a computer or an iPod to be able to download "free" iTunes videos. ;)

7. macrumors 6502a

count chocula

there you go, the only one i bothered to download was the episode of prisonbreak. i love that show.

[​IMG]

8. macrumors 68000

spicyapple

The first hit is always free.

9. macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I'm up for some high capacity iPods, it would be nice to see a 60GB or 120GB iPod video

10. Guest

Sky Blue

Free shows have been listed at the bottom of the TV Shows section for some time.

11. macrumors 68000

dernhelm

I have all of 6GB of music, but I'd take a 120GB version just for a travelling time-machine backup drive. Oh yeah - and the complete season of Firefly...

12. macrumors 68040

motulist

I see why these videos are free, they're all 2nd or 3rd tier series. Free is pretty useless when it's not something you want at all. Still, it's a good marketing tool to let people dip their toes in the water into online video.

13. macrumors 68000

MattyMac

How generous:p

14. macrumors 65816

Porchland

I suspect we'll seek a lot of freebie pilots and behind-the-scenes clips for shows premiering in August and September.

Also, is "Passions" the first soap opera on iTMS? I don't watch soap operas, but soaps would be a potential huge market, potentially if they stock the catalogs: subscriptions, catching up on what happened 10 years ago, etc. Start watching "Days of Our Lives" from the very beginning?

Daytime TV -- including Oprah, game shows, etc. -- is probably the biggest under-represented area on iTMS TV Shows.

15. macrumors regular

revjay

I am Can-A-di-an!

Canadians unite and destroy the C.R.T.C.! http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/cancon.htm
    We have yet to see even a sniff of a TV show on iTunes!

Not even Corner Gas!

Or Trailer Park Boys!

...or Whistler???

16. macrumors regular

April Dancer

Join the club! Not so much as a trailer here in the UK. I'm not even sure why I care though. Whatever they have to offer is going to be nothing as good as the shows I can rip onto the iPod from my dvds, particularly as most of it is 25 - 40 years old! It's just the principle. :mad:

17. macrumors regular

18. macrumors newbie

No UK content, as usual.

We have the greatest TV shows in the world, but no love from Apple.

19. macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Meh i'd be happy if the shows that were free weren't complete crap (Project Runway isn't crap but it's not worth watching outside of TV and certainly not on my iPod) :D. To anyone that enjoys them, mazel tov, but count me out of this one haha.

20. macrumors P6

~Shard~

Until Apple brings videos to the Canadian iTMS Azureus will continue to be working overtime on my Mac. :cool:

21. macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

I downloaded the Psych free download a while ago, the rest of them I've either never heard of or I just think the show looks weird.:confused:

22. macrumors newbie

Yeah they are missing out big time in the UK too

23. macrumors newbie

I like Psych

Psych is a great new show that USA has done. I've been a Monk fan for some time, and Psych is kind of like the polar opposite. Both remind me of days with Columbo, always solving something, just with more finesse.

-Michael Jensen
    http://www.appliedcontent.com

24. macrumors 68040

shamino

ROTFLMAO! I think a complete collection of Days would fill every hard drive ever manufactured :D.

I think that show has been on TV, running daily, since the dawn of television itself. Well, not quite. According to Wikipedia, only since November 1965. But we're still talking about over 40 years of daily episodes!

But scarily enough, according to that same Wikipedia article, NBC apparently has all of the episodes in its archive, so this could theoretically be done. Gentlemen, I think we've just discovered a use for 4-layer Blu-Ray discs - so you can sell whole-season archives of soap operas :D

25. macrumors 65816

eenu

There must be some reason why they can't sell these things in the UK. I mean, some of the shows they sell on the US apple store we get here so why do they not allow us to have them too?

Only reason i can think of is that there is some legislation or some licensing fee involved which at this time outweighs the benefit for Apple. Still it would be nice if apple would give an official answer