Free Leopard upgrade period

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by forelsu, Mar 20, 2007.

1. forelsu macrumors newbie

How long after you purchase a mac with Tiger will Apple offer a free upgrade to Leopard? I was wanting to purchase a mac during my state's tax holiday (last week in April) and was wondering if I'll be able to get Leopard, too.

2. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Is it a free upgrade? I thought Apple gave you a coupon for a certain percent or dollar amount off, or it was something like $20 to get it?

3. Cult Follower macrumors 6502a

Cult Follower

I too, think there was a discout not a FREE upgrade.

4. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

If you've got until the last week of April, maybe you'll be lucky and Leopard will already be out. Lots more time for rumors.

5. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

Don't count on it.

6. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i think the $20 or so was considered a shipping fee but was considered "free" to those who bought macs after the ship date was announced. when apple will announce the ship date of leopard is anybody's guess.

7. forelsu thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought the $20 was a shipping/processing fee. Anyway, for some reason I had in my mind that if an OS upgrade was released a month or so after you made a mac purchase you would be eligible for a free/$20/discounted upgrade.

8. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

In the past, the discounted upgrade has been available to persons who purchased a new Mac after the new OS release date has been announced.

9. waynergy macrumors newbie

10. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

When Tiger was released it was announced 10 buisness days (2 weeks) before it was available. There was a certificate given to customers who paid a shipping and handling fee but did not pay for the OS.

Kevin

11. fBaran macrumors regular

I'm with the few people who posted above me. It's two weeks (business? calendar?), but you have to pay 20 bucks for the shipping. And no, I don't think you can just walk into an Apple store and save the shipping charge :(

12. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Tiger was released on April 29th, 2005. The release date was announced on April 12th, and the Up-to-Date program allowed anyone purchasing a Panther-equipped Mac on or after April 12th to get Tiger for a shipping fee of $9.95.

Panther was released on October 23, 2003. The release date was announced on October 8th, and the Up-to-Date program allowed anyone purchasing a Jaguar-equipped Mac on or after October 8th to get Panther for a shipping fee of $19.95.