Free .Mac

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by madamimadam, Aug 26, 2002.

1. macrumors 65816

madamimadam

I received the activation code for my free .Mac account today which I gained for completing the Apple Learn & Earn course on the topic.

YAY

Edit: Time to install Virex... not because I think I should but because I can.... for free
    :)

2. macrumors 601

krossfyter

what? link please!

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

madamimadam

uuummm... I can not really post a link. If you are an Apple staff member, distributor or, as we call them in Australia, Solutions Reseller (just someone who owns an Apple retail store) you can sign up for Apple's Learn and Earn.

Learn and Earn is just a site where they give you courses and you have to do exams on what you have learned. You gain points for the exams and, apart from being ranked, you also can win prizes.

If you are registered with Learn and Earn and score more than 80% on the .Mac course, Apple will give you one free year of .Mac.

What I thought was a bit dodgy, though, was that if you had already paid for .Mac before they released this promotion you can not get a refund or extension... you just suck ****.

4. thread starter macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Interestingly, unlike all other software, Virex is downloaded from the Apple site not from your iDisk

5. macrumors 6502a

its probably a lot easier to administer everyones iDisk that way, instead of having 2 groups..

man.. have fun with .Mac.. tehehe..

-f

6. macrumors 604

MacBandit

Boy finding that website was difficult.:rolleyes:

Went there typed in my normal Apple Login Id and it took me directly to the registration page with all my name and stuff all ready filled in but it also asks you what you do for Apple I backed out then.

7. thread starter macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Yeah, they do do basic checking up on your before you are authorised.... takes about 4 days

8. macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

I'm still waiting for a email only service from Apple:(

9. macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

bout damn time, ive been waiting for weeks.

10. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I got mine this morning also Mad. Sparkley, it should be soon! ;)

11. macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

ya i got mine. i was just saying it took a long time. i remember originally it was supposed to be no more than 10 days after you passed the little test.

12. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

They had some little problem with their key generation. No big deal really. Lets enjoy!

13. thread starter macrumors 65816

madamimadam

I tell you what, Virex 7.1 is a piece of ****. Looks like the makers are designing it again from the ground up in Cocoa and they are still no where near to the level 6.1 is at. You even have to manually download the virus definition updates.