Free magazines/newspapers for Newsstand?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by sweetdiss, Oct 12, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Hello all!

I was wondering if there were any magazines or newspapers that offered free subscriptions for Newsstand?

After all, there are several "real life" magazines that offer free subscriptions in print, so why not on iPad?

2. macrumors newbie

I'm wondering this too, but it's because I have no intention of subscribing to anything with newsstand but I want something to fill it up as it looks stupid unused and it can't be put into folder to get rid of it.

3. macrumors 68000

thewitt

It can't be put into a folder because it is a folder.... If you open the store from within Newsstand you will find a bunch of free items

4. macrumors 68040

EVERY apple icon goes into a folder EXCEPT for newsstand. very annoying for ocd people like me who don't want to be forced to look at crap on our screen. i think it is a bug, but if they want to consider it a folder, then it will be banished to its own screen far at the back.

5. macrumors 65816

Even worse, you cannot put any but "approved" news apps in Newstand. Washington Post is a no-no, but NY Times can be included. And if that weren't bad enough, Newstand has abducted my New Yorker app and won't let it go. So now I have two folders, one of which holds nine news related apps, and Newstand which holds the New Yorker.

----------

Actually, you'll find a "bunch of free" apps that do nothing but enable you to purchase individual editions of the magazines or subscribe to the magazine.

6. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This is annoying, but I would think that all these apps are going to be in newsstand as soon as they get updated by their respective authors, and then this problem will go away. Well, maybe. I had a folder with things like BBC, NPR, and Fox News together with NYT and USA Today. I'm not sure the former apps will end up in Newsstand, although I would guess things like USA Today definitely would.

7. macrumors 68000

VPrime

Currently news stand is only for paid subscriptions.. Magazine apps which offer free subscriptions are not allowed in news stand. :(

8. macrumors member

That's not true. Metro Tablet Edition (the digital version of a free UK newspaper) is in there and is free.

9. macrumors newbie

Mugwamp

Why is there a charge for virtual magazines

I agree that there should be more free mags for newsstand and you should be able to drop any subscription into the newsstand app.

I don't understand why they are charging subscription fees (other than to make more money:cool:). I always thought that newspapers and magazines made their money from the advertising, and the only reason there is a cost at the stand is to pay for the printing, distribution and retail markup. :confused:

------
    just my 2 bits

Mugs
    ------
    There are 10 types of people;
    those who understand binary
    and those that do not.

10. macrumors newbie

I understand WHY it can't be put into a folder, I was merely complaining about that fact. And those items are not free, if you open them you will see they all have subscription rates listed.

11. macrumors 68020

AJsAWiz

Yeah, I saw that and the subscription terms for some magazines, like MacLife, seem confusing to me. Has anyone purchased a single edition or subscription for any of these magazines? If so, what did you think? I, previously used Zinio but have deleted it. I also noted that some magazines gave the iPad edition to "print subscribers". Wonder if those showed up on News Stand.

12. macrumors member

Is the daily the only affordable newspaper on newsstand?

I'm not crazy about paying more than 99 cents a week to read a quality newspaper.

13. macrumors 6502

It can be put into a folder. Check out the article on either the front page or the iOS blog, it explains how there

14. macrumors 6502

15. macrumors 68040

yay! now newstand is in my apple bloatware folder :)
    byebye. won't see you until the next update!

16. macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

New York Times offers their Top Stories and Most E-mailed stories (I think?) for free to everyone within their app. It may not sound like much, but it's at least an hour's worth of high-quality content every day. It has an attractive layout for tablets.

17. macrumors member

The September edition of Autoweek is free.

18. macrumors 65816

I downloaded the free Popular Science and it had a preview and the button to buy a subscription. I was surprised by how many articles were included in the preview. I imagine that varies from magazine to magazine.

19. macrumors newbie

I'd like to have a look at the Popular Science newsstand app but can't find it. I've scrolled through the lists but can't see it and a search for 'Popular Science' brings up several results but none seem to be for newsstand.

Also, thanks Votekinky06 for the link!

20. macrumors newbie

I exiled newsstand to its own screen. It won't let me do anything I want.

21. macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

I am a print subscriber to National Geographic and they give the digital edition for free to print subscribers. It does appear in the Newsstand.

22. macrumors 6502a

This is nice to know.... Also I've read about other publications that give free digital access to print-n-mail subscribers but then I've also sorta remember how some publications flip flopped on this offering .... New Yorker maybe?

Anyway if anyone has an up to date list please post. :)

23. macrumors newbie

I put the newsstand app in a folder, so it can be put into a folder

24. macrumors regular

The Daily..

I am a print subscriber of WIRED and it shows up in Newstand.....
    I am wondering about The Daily..i'm thinking of subscribing...does anyone know if you subscribe, can you access it on any device connected to your itunes account, or do they seriously expect you to pay PER DEVICE? I can't seem to find this info anywhere

Thanks

25. macrumors newbie

Free magazines/newspapers for Newsstand?

I'm also looking for this info, but lots of them are not free.