Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

espo774

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2010
Different strokes I guess but why would yo even do that? Don't you think they should charge you for the second one? Would seem fair to me.

i dont know. i got 2 separate notices telling me to pick one up. Why can't I have a freebie for once?

^^BIGMac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2009
UPDATE

OK...now that the MicroCell tower is working in my house I tested calling a friend long distance. In my office where the MicroCell is located we talked for 47 minutes...perfect. Five bars all the time no problems. Could never have done that before with 3G. Normally I would drop the call within 1-2 minutes max.

So on the same call I walked downstairs and sat where I usually do to watch TV. The bars initially dropped to "3" but the call quality was fine for another 15+ minutes. Then I noticed the bars dropped to 1 and finally I dropped the call. Started to walk back upstairs and the phone switched from M-Cell 3G to regular 3G momentarily and then once I got to the top of the stairs close to my office the M-Cell 3G came back at 5 bars.

What's it all mean? It works! 100% better and I won't really have to switch to Edge anymore at home. Even on Edge I would occasionally drop a call even up stairs. So I think the MicroCell is a definite WIN!

Thank you AT&T.

Chrisnofear

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2010
Free cell tower

I called AT&T once to complain, they sent me an email 5 days later for a free mini cell tower and it works great. I had no coverage before and now have 5 bars in the entire house. I can now drop my landline!

crizyal

macrumors newbie
ok please stop responding to my post then.

When you say things that are so selfish and childish, you deserve to have responses like that. You have no need for two, though you take it simply because you can get it free?!? Who do you think pays for that? When AT&T finds out you ripped them off they will charge you as they should. If they don't figure it out, I will still have no respect for you.

ChubZ

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2010
I was able to call customer serice on Friday afternoon about my areas signal issues. AT&T has a lot of towers in my area but my neighborhood doesn't get a strong signal because of not enough signal overlap. Anyway, the CSR got it approved by a manager and I should have it by tuesday.

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
My story:

Anyway, today in the mail I get a letter from AT&T thanking me for being a valued customer etc. And, as a way of showing their appreciation they offered me an AT&T MicroCell at no charge.

Reading further into the letter it said to simply take the letter to my local AT&T store (they provided the address) and pick up the free MicroCell. They reiterated that they would furnish the MicroCell at no charge (they underlined "no charge") for as long as I am an AT&T customer. If I decide to leave AT&T within 12 months they simply ask that I return the device to my nearest retail location.

That's it. I'm gonna take them up on it.

They did the exact same thing for me.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
I see no point in using this device. Since it uses your own internet connection, you might as well just use the free Whistle phone app in your home instead. It uses your home wireless network and in the same way but doesn't charge you for calls, including long distance.

Granted this app gives you a new number, but still is perfect for making outgoing calls with.
Many of us don't want a new number.
And, as with most things, I suspect this won't remain free.

For example, Whistle notes that beginning tomorrow, calls are capped:
On April 6th, 2011, we're capping the length of inbound and outbound calls for our free users at 20 minutes. This is a per call limit only.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
I still don't get why you're not charging them for use of your internet bandwidth.

Doesn't AT&T charge you for use of their cellular towers and the 3G bandwidth on a monthly basis?

So why wouldn't you charge them to use your internet bandwidth?

Its like you're paying for your phone, you're paying for your internet, and you're letting them use your internet for free.
Are you using the internet for free? So why are they, on your dime?

I'd at least tell them they need to discount my monthly phone bill a certain amount if they wish to use my bandwidth that I pay for.
They won't give me free 3G, why should I give them free bandwidth?

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
I still don't get why you're not charging them for use of your internet bandwidth.

Doesn't AT&T charge you for use of their cellular towers and the 3G bandwidth on a monthly basis?

Its like you're paying for your phone, you're paying for your internet, and you're letting them use your internet for free.

I'd at least tell them they need to discount my monthly phone bill a certain amount if they wish to use my bandwidth that I pay for.
A free microcell (with no strings attached) would be enough for me.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
I worked for AT&T a few months ago. Few facts: Anytime you call in, the CSR can give up to 2000 rollover minutes and they can credit up to $200 per day. Not sure if this works or not, but try it. No one ever tried this with me, so i'm not sure..

Call and tell them you get no service and you want a microcell for free or you'll move to Verizon. If they say they can't, tell them to charge the $150, but credit it back, and that you know for a fact they can credit up to $200 per day, per number. PM me if it works. lol. ;)

thibaulthalpern

macrumors regular
May 2, 2008
East Coast, USA

I totally agree with you. The free microcell thing is like fraud! Yeah, they might provide you for free that microcell, but they're tapping into your broadband service which for many of us is not unlimited!

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
I need a microcell to get coverage inside my home (even in the yard).

Here are a few things I've noticed:

1. Delays when placing calls. Seems to happen about 25% of the time, and usually the first call after the phone switches to the microcell. After 30 seconds, you'll get a call failed message. Almost always the call will go through immediately when you try again.

2. There is sometimes a voice delay. It becomes annoying when you start to speak, and the other person will start to speak at the same time because you've been silent for what seems like 2 or 3 seconds to them.

3. When callers call you, the phone will ring once or twice on their end, pause, and then resume ringing. This confuses some callers who don't know what to expect.

4. Handoffs from microcell to a tower don't always go smoothly. Either loss of voice or dropped call happens frequently. Of course, tower to microcell never occurs. So if you're driving home, you're going to lose a signal.

5. If you attach the microcell in an area with decent coverage, you'll get frequent dropped calls as you roam around your house. Go outside in the yard and it'll switch to the tower. Walk back into your house, and it can't switch back to the microcell.

Just a few limitations that I've noticed, but for some of us, this is better than no service at all.

Paratel

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2005
Somewhere in the US
I have extremely poor coverage at my home and I have made numerous calls to customer service so that I can have a "paper trail" of dropped call events. I have also downloaded and use religiously the AT&T Mark the Spot app. AT&T really does use and keep this data from this app. At first I thought it was just something that they wanted us to think we were as customers would use and then do nothing with the data but they really use it!

Here is what I did:
First I had a history of calls complaining about dropped calls and service at my home. I was always polite when calling and ran any test they needed me to. I use the Mark the spot app all the time. I called 2 days ago and spoke to a CS rep and asked for a microcell. She could not give me one but did say that I could get a rebate. I told her that I had a problem with paying for an item and service to improve their (AT&T) services for something I am already paying for with my monthly plan. I respectfully declined and just had her document my call again.

Two days ago I call the AT&T office of the President (877-707-6220) and specifically asked that someone from the Executive Response Team contact me. The lady looked at my account and asked me what issues I was having and noticed that I had already made several calls regarding my service. She stated that a member of the team would contact me within 72 hours. I received a call today from them and was at all times very polite. I told him of my issues and said that I heard that the microcell could aid me with my issues and since I have been a long standing customer, he agreed. Said that he would send me out a microcell free of charge. I thanked him for his time, concern and prompt customer service. I never once had to threaten that I was going to leave AT&T.

The deal with the microcell is that it uses the minutes that you have on your plan. It does not use Night & Weekend minutes, mobile to mobile or your Rollover. You can have the option to get the unlimited for 19.95 a month however, the guy told me he hasn't seen an instance where someone went over their minutes using it.

rburly

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2009
Florida
I saw two threads on this, one with no replies and this one.

Did anyone else get a letter from AT&T about how grateful they are that I'm a customer and to show their gratitude they're giving me a "FREE 3G MicroCell"? The condition is that I have to stay a customer for a year (not cancel my service with them for a year) and, it's free. I just have to take the letter (it has a bar code at the bottom of the page) to my local AT&T corporate store and pick it up. I have a contract through July 2012 anyway, so no problems with that. Apparently it's a $200 piece of equipment. Sounds like a good deal.

I'm one of those people who had dropped calls regularly when the I4 came out. I considered returning the phone, but didn't. I seriously doubt that I'm the only person who got this letter, I just don't see any other threads on it. I'm gonna take them up on it this Saturday.

diegosilang

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
I saw two threads on this, one with no replies and this one.

Did anyone else get a letter from AT&T about how grateful they are that I'm a customer and to show their gratitude they're giving me a "FREE 3G MicroCell"? The condition is that I have to stay a customer for a year (not cancel my service with them for a year) and, it's free. I just have to take the letter (it has a bar code at the bottom of the page) to my local AT&T corporate store and pick it up. I have a contract through July 2012 anyway, so no problems with that. Apparently it's a $200 piece of equipment. Sounds like a good deal.

I'm one of those people who had dropped calls regularly when the I4 came out. I considered returning the phone, but didn't. I seriously doubt that I'm the only person who got this letter, I just don't see any other threads on it. I'm gonna take them up on it this Saturday.

I got that same letter yesterday. I went to the AT&T store listed in the letter and was given a free microcell tower, of course with the condition I stay with them for a year. Same situation where im on contrat till June 2012 anyways. I live in the foothills where I always have 1-2 bars at best. Now enjoying 5 bars all the time :)

objectivecause

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2011
Wilkes-Barre, PA
Just got my free microcell, I called months ago about the terrible service at my house and they said nothing they can do. 5 months later I get a email offering me a free microcell.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
I've seen people selling their microcell on craigslist. Wondering if I bought one for a relative, would it work for him or is each microcell tied to an account?

^^BIGMac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2009
Believe this or don't...

I have the MicroCell and pretty much gave up on it. But I thought I'd give it one more try. It works fine when I'm in the same room or very close to the MC but once I go down stairs I was having major problems keeping calls connected. So I decided to try this: I connected my phone to a head set and placed the phone on the small table next to me where I watch TV. Normally I have 4-5 bars of 3G MicroCell signal. I have since (by not holding the phone w/bumper in my hand) only dropped one call in two weeks. Wat? WTF? I'll take it though. Previously I couldn't hold any sort of 3G signal in that location.

BFP115

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2012
Free Micro Cell Tower from AT&T

Yes, it's true. I recently got a free micro cell tower from AT&T and the experience has been excellent. 5 bars all the time. Had serious signal problems since moving to a new area. Walked into a local AT&T store last week and said "I can't take it anymore...longtime customer, love AT&T but this is crazy, what are my options. Explained how I changed my sim card, upgraded all the software (in response to their contention that it was the phone not the signal) and did everything possible - to no avail. Then I simply said that I had a decision to make that day - to get this matter resolved with AT&T or go to Sprint. The manager was cool. Said he would give me a free Micro Cell tower, saving me $200, and that would solve the problem. Could not believe it, but it happened. Very easy to set up. Great signal. Well done, AT&T!

BFP115

Maverick713

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2009
Houston, TX
Most of you have probably heard the rumors about AT&T giving out "free" Micro-cell towers, I know at least I did. If this was true I felt I deserved one, so I gave them a call. (I get "No Service, Searching, and if I'm lucky, one bar.)

I was first directed to customer care, where I explained how tempting it is to get the iPhone 4 with Verizon, with the great coverage and unlimited data plan.

She then told me she had head of "Free Promotion Micro-cell Towers." She first insisted that I talk to Technical support first, to send updates to my phone, and power cycle it. I said fine.

After waiting 5 minutes, I was connected to a lady who indeed did have me power cycle my phone, and apparently send out updates to it. She told me that there was no reports of bad coverage, and that my area showed up fine on the map. I explained to her that I indeed do not have 3G coverage, and I am lucky if I get 1 bar of EDGE. She tried to make it like it was a faulty phone. I explained to her that their are 2 other AT&T customers, with different phones, who only do indeed receive one bar at best.

I asked if she could transfer me back to customer care, but she said that she can't transfer... After some hesitation, she could all of a sudden connect me to her manager. I waited 5 minutes for her manager to come to the phone, and then was told that her manager is "Checking if their are any promotions." Another 3 minutes pass and the rep informs me that I can buy a Micro-cell tower at an AT&T store, and get the money credited to my bill. So I guess this indeed is a free Micro-cell Tower. I told her I didn't want to make a commitment at the moment, so she noted it to my account.

What do you think I should do?

BTW, I got my unlimited data back :rolleyes:

I got a free Micro Cell no money out of pocket

4sFanatic

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2012
Yes, it's true. I recently got a free micro cell tower from AT&T and the experience has been excellent. 5 bars all the time. Had serious signal problems since moving to a new area. Walked into a local AT&T store last week and said "I can't take it anymore...longtime customer, love AT&T but this is crazy, what are my options. Explained how I changed my sim card, upgraded all the software (in response to their contention that it was the phone not the signal) and did everything possible - to no avail. Then I simply said that I had a decision to make that day - to get this matter resolved with AT&T or go to Sprint. The manager was cool. Said he would give me a free Micro Cell tower, saving me $200, and that would solve the problem. Could not believe it, but it happened. Very easy to set up. Great signal. Well done, AT&T!

BFP115

That's a bunch of BS! .................................. I got one last year and it didn't do CRAP !!!
(bars don't mean crap, reception does)

PLACEBO :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
I got a free one a while back. I had to pay for it with my debit card, then the AT&T rep gave my account a credit for it. Didn't have to pay my bill for 3 months. :D

I did have problems at first with my Micro Cell and iPhone 4s but I think they pushed a firmware update because its been working very well. The microcell does have times when it doesn't want to work properly though. Calls sound much better on the microcell than they do with 2-3 bars.

AT&T also added a new feature to the microcell settings page which lets you enable or disable the option to hand off to a cell tower.

CAWjr

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I'm looking for an AT&T Micro Cell to put in my home. Despite having an AT&T tower less than a mile from my house, the signal in my home sucks. I called AT&T and they want $200 for the Micro Cell or $100 if I agree to the $20 a month extra for unlimited calling when using the device. I called them yesterday. I had the girl on the phone telling me that she really wanted to give me the device for free after hearing me complain very politely for about 10 minutes, but there was no way that she could do it in the system. The best that it would allow her to do was to give me the $100 off with the $20 a month plan. She did say though that the free Micro Cells that they gave out were to people in areas where they had known signal issues. Because there is a tower less than a mile away, she said I do not qualify.

To be honest, I am trying to find one for free or dirt cheap (I'm certainly willing to pay shipping costs). I hate the idea of paying AT&T for a device to make their poor service work better in my own home when I already pay them over $150 a month.

I'm hoping that someone out there may have gotten one of the free Micro Cells when AT&T was handing them out last year & then still moved over to another carrier. If you have a Micro Cell laying around & you would be willing to part with it, please let me know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.