Free Music Videos

Discussion in 'iPod' started by darwen, Oct 12, 2005.

1. darwen macrumors 6502a

darwen

I knew it could be done. Music videos made easy for the iPod. Well, there are numerous steps but for some people it may be worth the $1.99

1) Go to AOL's music video search page
    2) Start watching the desired video in it's new window
    3) Click View>Video Source and search (Ctrl+F) for ".mov"
    4) After a couple results you will find a result like this one... [http://pdl.stream.aol.com/aol/us/ao.../fatboyslim/fatboyslim_weaponofchoice_dl.mov]
    5) Copy the entire address into a text editor like word
    6) Save the file as a ".html"
    7) Open in Safari
    8) Click on File>Save As...
    9) Choose a location and save the file
    10) Enjoy your music video

I think this is legal. I usually am able to rip music videos with the little arrow by clicking on "Save as .mov" but these videos won't let you do that. That might mean it is illegal... I don't know.

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Or you could just copy the URL into the Google search bar, press enter, and let Google spit out the URL. Option-click the link to download to the desktop.

3. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

or have the url copies, paste it into Safari, then command-a and option double click the asset. THEN, once you get it, it's in cinepak, so it needs to be converted. They're all 4:3 too, so it will get letterboxed no matter what.

4. jaykk macrumors 6502a

or

or better yet, open Safari -> Downloads (Opt + Cmd + L ), copy the URL in downloads window, it will start downloading..

5. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

After I save the video, I can't do anything with it but watch it. I can't use quicktime pro to export it to another format, I can't export it in iMovie, or FCP. Is there some kind of DRM of it?

6. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Even better ;) and a Mac way of thinking. Drag the url to Safari's download window :cool:

7. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

Sounds like they've limited it - just like the did with the Live 8 videos..

and the drag-to-safari-download-window is a great tip. I use that one all that time (you can drag urls from any app into the d/l window..]

8. MrSugar macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

holy jesus,

this thread was worth reading just to find out all the ways to download specific URLs.

Thanks, I didn't even know about half of them.

9. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

This is SMART!!!

10. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

And i thought my way was smart. That drag and drop trick is why i love apple. Thanks steve!

11. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

hehehehe, this is how I got mine Live 8 concert videos. :)

12. danielsan26 macrumors regular

An even easier way to get the URL is to open activity, copy what is usually the 1st URL, find the .mov url contained in it using Safari's browsing window, go to that URL, and then option-click that new address in activity.

13. Kar91102 macrumors newbie

14. darwen thread starter macrumors 6502a

darwen

I don't know if you guys are actually trying this. I rip videos all the time from the net and none of these things worked. You can't copy the URL and save it. Even with Pro it won't let you. Sorry to disappoint, it sounds great in logic but these videos have some sort of protection.

You can still do it the way I suggested on a PC... for whoever was asking that.

15. Ipaqman macrumors 6502

could someone please walk me through the steps using a pc and firefox.

thanks so much,
    ipaqman

16. briangig macrumors regular

woah guys...you can download these video files to your HD...with some streaming content you cant, but with these you can. After you view the source for the page, get the URL that ends in .mov, copy it, then paste it into good, then click search. this gives you a link directly to the video, just right click it, or option click it, and save it to your HD.

I dont know what format they are in...I imported then into itunes, will see what can be done with them.

the codecs are Sorenson Video 3, QDesign Music 2.

17. Ipaqman macrumors 6502

could someone please provide step by step instructions on how to do this. for some reason this doesn't work for me.

thanks so much,
    ipaqman

18. the_freddinator macrumors regular

Open up download window (ctrl+j) click on the favicon (image next to url) and drag to download window- it's the same as safari...just with firefox.

19. jcarm24 macrumors regular

jcarm24

The format is .mov

20. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Thats the best way to do it, i tried all the other ways and none worked, THANKS dude,

Shadow

21. johnbro23 macrumors 6502a

Just curious...whats the resolution on these AOL videos?

I downloaded some videos, getting ready for my iPod to come, but I can't test them out. Will they work? Are they in 320x240?

22. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Same here :)

I'm ashamed to say, I've occasionally resorted to marking up a 3-line HTML file complete with A HREF :eek:

23. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

This is bloody awesome :D Thanks for all the suggestions on how to download the videos. The drag and drop method works best for me. Thanks again. :)

I can't believe that AOL has even heard of Bikini Kill and Bratmobile.

24. Ipaqman macrumors 6502

25. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

When I tried it with Ben Folds (I love me the ben folds!!) it was some funky URL starting with "rtsp://" and safari didn't know what to do with it..

Couldn't download either Ben Folds video, any suggestions?