Free (or close to free) electronic music composition software?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by manosaurus, Oct 3, 2006.

1. macrumors 6502

manosaurus

I am a contemporary classical music composer and I am wondering if anyone knows of any programs for manipulating sound? I don't mean like gargageband or audacity. I don't want to record guitars or voice or anything and I am not looking to write electronica or beats or anything. I am looking for a program where one can manipulate several base frequencies into more complex waves by using effects, filters and automation. I used audiomulch (the perfect program for this stuff) for Windows but it is not available for OS X yet.

2. macrumors 601

zimv20

3. macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

4. macrumors 601

zimv20

or close, which is relative :)

i linked to the wikipedia page instead of cycle74 because they listed all those variants.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

manosaurus

Thanks!

All of those programs look like options. Max and Cecilia look like nice. I'll have time to try them out tonight. Have you guys used them a lot? Do you have any compositions that you have written with the programs that I could listen to?

6. macrumors 601

zimv20

i've not used any of them. the last time i "composed" something was, errr, nearly 20 years ago, and i used MOTU's Composer.

messing around with Max is something i've been telling myself i'll do in my spare time for over 10 years now.