Free OS X upgrade on Macs bought today?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Foaric, Jun 17, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if an upgrade to Mavericks will be free for Macs that are bought from now on?

I'm not too into the idea of buying a Mac now and paying $150 or more to upgrade in a few months. :/

2. macrumors P6

MacDawg

What gives you the idea that it would be $150 or more?
    Not likely

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh I was just guessing, I'm a Windows user and that's what new Windows versions usually cost, I figured it'd be similar.

4. macrumors 65816

adcx64

There's no word of an "Up to Date" program yet, but Mavericks will likely cost $20 like the past few releases, not 150.

Also: great thing about OS X is that it doesn't have that genuine activation crap. Just works.

5. macrumors 603

siurpeeman

historically, all new macs get the free update when they announce a shipping date (roughly) and price for the new version of os x. so if you bought a new mac today, you'll likely have to pay for mavericks. and as macdawg pointed above, you probably won't pay anything near $150. last year's upgrade was $20, and it was $30 the year before.

6. macrumors demi-god

mmomega

$150 ? Where did that number come from ?

Snow Leopard was $30, Lion was $30 and Mountain Lion was $20, has there been a rumor that the price was going to substantially increase over the last release

7. macrumors 65816

w0lf

No it won't be free but most likely it'll be in the range of $0 to $20 to upgrade.

8. macrumors 6502a

Mac upgrades have been 20-30 bucks.... I hightly doubt it will be 150 they aren't microsoft. Apple screws you when you buy their hardware they basically give you their software to keep you.

9. macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

No. They announce the availability of Mavericks via:
    http://www.apple.com/pr/

After this announcement, you can go to
    http://www.apple.com/osx/uptodate/
    where you can order your copy of OS X 10.9. This copy costs you nothing, if you have the proper hardware and/or purchase receipt.

19.99 US$ is the price for everyone else in the Mac App Store (MAS), not 149.99 US$. :)

----------

Thank god! :)

10. macrumors 65816

w0lf

Apple used to charge $150+ for OS upgrades too, you know... Plus Microsoft seems to be heading the way of cheaper software too, you were able to get Win8 for $40 for a decent period and the upgrade from 8 to 8.1 is supposed to be free. Of course Microsoft will keep their expensive PRO packages but I think their standard release is headed the way of Apple ($25 or less).

11. macrumors 603

I don't think apple has ever charged more than $129 for an OS upgrade.