Free PC for UK'ers, what do you make of it?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by TMA, Feb 1, 2004.

1. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

Hello,

Just curious to know if anyone else has seen or ordered from this website http://www.metronomy.co.uk/ ? This company hopes to make money by giving away free PC's in return for you watching some adverts on it every hour. It 'phones home' to register that you've been watching the adverts and that you've not reformatted the HD or bypassed the custom software.

I ordered one before xmas, when a story about it was posted on slashdot. Initial shipping dates are mid feb-march so it's starting to get near now. I'm wondering if it's actually going to happen or not. I'm personally hoping that the company will quickly go bankrupt and not have the resources to claim back all the PC's it sent out. :D Also I wonder if people will find ways to circumvent or disable the adverts.

I'm especially keen to make contacts with other people that have put in an order for one or have gone for similar schemes in the past. Also curious to know what people make of this offer. What do you rekon of it?

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

3. TMA thread starter macrumors 6502a

TMA

I tried searching for 'Free PC', it wouldn't except 'PC' (too short a word - minimum 3 letters) and then tried for Free Computer with no results. :\

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

its all good, it was posted a couple of times before whe the news first broke.

iJon