Free photo editing software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JDN, Nov 15, 2006.

1. JDN macrumors 6502a

Sep 7, 2006
    Lund Sweden {London England}
    All im looking to do it crop photos ... literally. But i can't do that in anyhting that came with OSX. Can anyone recommend anything?
  2. gekko513 macrumors 603

Oct 16, 2003
  3. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Aug 6, 2006
    Depending on what Mac you have, it may have come with Graphic Converter That should have some kind of crop tool...
  4. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

Jul 21, 2003
    ImageWell is nice and free. It allows for simple photo editing. I use shutterbug from the same company and like it very much so I would guess ImageWell is nice as well.
  5. gumbyhw macrumors newbie

Nov 6, 2006
    Preview does what you want

Just open the file in preview and use the Tools menu: Selection tool to select a region and Crop (apple-K) to crop. Then save in the format of your choice.

Also LiveQuartz ( is donationware if you decide you need to do more than you described.
  6. RacerX macrumors 65832

Aug 2, 2004
    One of the most overlooked apps for Mac OS X is ToyViewer. Thing is, it has been around longer than just about anything else on Mac OS X (ToyViewer was running on Mac OS X before it was called Mac OS X).

I've written about the Mac OS X version here and the Rhapsody version here. There are also NEXTSTEP and OPENSTEP versions available.

And the best part is that it is free!

Here are a couple examples of things ToyViewer can do beyond cropping...

And some of the included tool options...