Free photo/graphics software for Windows?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by 2ms, Nov 26, 2006.

1. 2ms macrumors 6502

Nov 22, 2002
    I need a free graphics software that is good for very basic editing much like Paint although I would prefer a little more capability like PaintShop Pro. My PaintShop Pro demo is about to expire and my Windows install did not include Paint. Anyone got suggestions?
  2. LeviG macrumors 65816

Nov 6, 2006
    Norfolk, UK

Easy that one - do a google for the gimp, almost as good as photoshop in most peoples view
  3. elppa macrumors 68040

Nov 26, 2003
    The Gimp has nothing like the power of Adobe Photoshop.

It does have some useful features for image editing though.

To say it is "almost as good" is very misleading.
  4. LeviG macrumors 65816

Nov 6, 2006
    Norfolk, UK
    Unless you are using the high end/pro user tools in photoshop (very rare and I do design) the gimp will cover all the bases for a home user, hence the comment that its almost as good. If you have used photoshop then there is a learning curve but its nothing major.
  5. wmmk macrumors 68020

Mar 28, 2006
    The Library.
    if this guy thinks PSP is good enough, I'm guessing he's not too big into 16-bit editing. in this case, the GIMP will be almost as good as PS to him.

Also, if you want PSP 9, buy a lexar SD card. it'll come free.
  6. portent macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2004
    Irfanview is the GraphicConverter of the Windows world. Supports almost every graphic format imaginable, as well as basic editing functionality.
  7. Nym macrumors 6502a

Oct 4, 2006
    Porto, Portugal
    If your main objective is to edit photos just go with Picasa (google it) , it's a nice app to manage your pictures, do basic edit's to them and a bunch of other stuff. Best of all, it's FREE! :)

If you want to do Icon creation or other form of digital art then you should really go with Photoshop, I consider The Gimp nothing like it.
  8. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

Sep 11, 2005
    St. Cloud, FL.
  9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    This does seem like a fairly nice package. Not enough to make me rue using Photoshop, mind you... ;) But nice.