Free photo resizing program?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CaptainCaveMann, Aug 2, 2005.

1. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

I need a program other than photoshop to resize some digital pics. Anyone know a free prog for osx?

2. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

My suggestion..

You could use iPhoto or Graphic converter if you have this. What would be even better is an automator action that would do this. Funny thing is I was just searching for this same capability that could be done using the automator. This is of course if your running Tiger.

Anyone else?

Nuc

3. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

you don't need automator. Graphic Converter has a batch "Convert and Modify" command under the file menu. You select a folder of images, tell it how you want it to resize, then it goes to town.

4. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

5. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Anything wrong with iPhoto? Just use the export function under "Share" and you can then specify what size you want your photos cropped to. Works for batches too.

6. powerpuffkay macrumors newbie

help me... too?!?!

Okay.. I stumbled upon this thread when I googled photo resizing programs, and I was happy I wasn't the only one having problems!!! I JUST got a Mac, brand spankin' new, and I'm trying to get accustomed to some changes. Like not having a simple 'paint' type program to resize photos to put on my loooovely myspace, etc.

I'm frustrated!!!!!! I downloaded the iZoom and iResize programs, and NEITHER of them are working!! They look like exactly what I need, but fr some annnnoying reason they are not opening my photos!!! Yes, I checked again and again to make sure my photos are in JPEG/.jpg format or whatever, and they ARE. So I joined this forum thing and all that just so I can talk to someone and get this figured out!!! It's crucial!!!

I have iPhoto, and I'm really surprised that there isn't anything already on the bleepin' Mac that can simply RESIZE A PHOTO. Throw me a BONE here!!!! I searched all the help menus and EVERYthing!! Believe me, I have been actually trying...

If anyone can help me, I would greeeeatly appriciate it!!!

7. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

Just do File > Export in iPhoto, and that will give you the option to resize your photos there.

8. powerpuffkay macrumors newbie

alright, yeah I was reading someone saying how to do that.. I guess I'm used to microsoft's paint program, and what I would do is use 'stretch' to actually downsize a photo by percenteges, like 50% height by 50% width, so I never paid any attention to actual pixels. How do I make sure that I resize my photo evenly, pixel-wise, by height and width so it doesn't come out distorted?? Does it matter?!

9. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

The aspect ratio should be conserved by default.

10. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

If you're resizing to email, Mail will do it automatically. When the image is imported into the new message, there will be a pop-up menu at the bottom where you can specify the size.

11. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

The problem with the resize in mail is it doesn't adjust the quality so you might end up sending small pictures that are over 150k which is a little ridiculous, I think.

Thanks to this thread I just found the batch resize function in GraphicConverter! I never knew it existed. I've been searching for something like this for ages. I tried SmallImage2 but found that the quality of the exports were rather poor when, on other programs, you get much better quality with the same file size.

12. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Some great suggestions in this thread, but let me also throw in Automator. I made a Finder plug-in that lets me right-click an image and click "Scale to 50%" and it does exactly that. Use the scale function from Preview. You can specify a hard number like 50% or 1000 pixels, or have a dialog pop up that lets you choose at the time you run the script.

My first time using Automator - handy!

13. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Yep, ImageWell. http://xtralean.com/IWOverview.html

14. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

My problem with using Automator like this was the file sizes. Usually I'm resizing stuff to email or upload to a site and the file sizes are often crazy.

I'm hoping there will be a function with Leopard's Automator that will do this. If not, there's always other options.

15. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

I've been singing the praises of graphicconverter for years, but due to many of its amazing features being just slightly hidden, many users never realize how powerful it is!

The batch convert command in graphicconverter is incredibly useful and versatile! There are even many non-graphic related processes it gives you the power to perform on a folder full of non-graphics files! Also, it has the absolute BEST thumbnail picture browser, catalog, organize system ever! It's totally customizable, so you can view just the details you want to see, like filename and file size, and hide all the rest.

I'm telling you all, if there's something you want to do with an image file, the first place to look for a solution is graphicconverter.

16. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Skitch is great for resizing and cropping images, if you're lucky enough to get it...

17. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I'm so glad someone finally mentioned this! I was getting a little worried when I read through a dozen posts and ImageWell hadn't been brought up yet. Great little app for quick resizes and crops and such.

18. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Nice, I've been wanting to have something like that since I switched from Windows. Can you explain how you did it? I don't see how you can pop up a dialog to ask the desired size.

EDIT: Never mind, found this: http://mymacbuzz.com/2006/10/15/right-click-image-resizing-with-automator/

Sweet! No app needed to resize.

19. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

Seconded. I use iResize for shrinking down pictures. It lets you set a target size that's handy when shrinking images to post on certain forums *cough*MacRumors*cough*. :p

20. keonislili macrumors newbie

keonislili

YOU DON'T NEED A PROGRAM!!!!!

Once exported/saved/dragged digital pics out of iPhoto:

1) Click open / Open up in Preview
    2) Go to Tools
    3) Find Adjust Size...
    4) All the simple tools for resizing is available on our Macs, no need for downloads/programs!!!!

:cool:

21. aliskink macrumors newbie

2010 Update

Having just got a Macbook Air I've gone through this same pain, but eventually worked it out.
    Step 1: In iPhoto just go to the album where the photos are that you want to resize.
    Step 2: From the main menu in iPhoto either do Edit > Select All or select the individual pics you want to resize.
    Step 3: From the main menu do File > Export
    Step 4: Change the 'Size' drop-down to Medium or Small and...
    Step 5: Click Export
    Step 6: In the dialog that opens, click the arrow next to the 'Save As' box to change the location & file name if you want (otherwise it'll overwrite the original version) then ...
    Step 7: Click OK

You'll find your teeny-weeny shrunken pics in the location you specified in step 6.