Free Photoshop!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by oldschool, Feb 12, 2004.

1. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

I was thinking of buying photoshop but that's really overkill for my needs.

I basically want to be able to resize images, and some other things. I need a basic image editor thats it...any suggestions?

2. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

You could try GraphicConverter, which will probably do all you want. It's shareware but apart from the delay at startup there are no limitations in the unregistered version.

3. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

free photoshop

GIMP is a linux based software that i believe i read somewhere on the boards will run on the Mac. Best of all it is free.

4. Opteron macrumors 6502

Re: free photoshop

WinGimp is also avaliable for anyone who cares. It's good for simple editing of game tretures.

5. oldschool thread starter macrumors 65816

oldschool

6. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Yes. And I think it's GUI is seriously lacking, in my opinion. I recommend Graphic Converter, which I believe comes free with some Macs (pro-level: PowerMac and PowerBooks).

7. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

GraphicConverter is awesome and even worth the shareware fee if you choose to pay it.

It is the best program I have found for resizing, saving and basic editing. I use it for all my basic photo editing which usually entails adjusting contrast, brightness, and applying a slight unsharp mask. It does all this and far far more. There is no program I know of on earth that can convert more photo file formats.

Also they have great support. If you have a question or a suggestion and you email them you get the programmer.

http://www.lemkesoft.com/en/graphcon.htm

8. PensDevil macrumors member

Photoshop Elements

I'll give a recommendation for Photoshop Elements. It does what you need and gives you the ability to grow into more advanced areas of image manipulation. Retail price of $99 is quite a bit more then Graphic Convertor, but elements can usually be found for $49 if you look in the right places. Costco seems to sell it at that price quite a bit.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Costco sells mac software??? I've never seen any there.

10. PensDevil macrumors member

Yes, but not intentionally I'm sure. ;)

Photoshop Elements v2 has both Macintosh (9/X) and Windows installs on the same CD. So if Costco sells the Windows version, then they also sell the Mac version.

11. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

jimthorn

I agree that Photoshop Elements is the way to go. It gives you almost all of the functions of the full Photoshop at a fraction of the cost. A great app at a great price.

12. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Yeah Elements 2.0 is definitely great and they way to go if you needs layers and higher level functions. It doesn't have channels so you can't do channel chopping but it is definitely a great program. I would still have GraphicConverter in combination with any version of Photoshop though because it's very lean and starts up really quickly. Also it supports more formats then Photoshop and can do some of the basic photo touch ups that I mentioned before in the time that it takes Photoshop to just start up.

13. oldschool thread starter macrumors 65816

oldschool

Thanks guys...i've actually got graphics converter registered (it came with the powerbook), but i'm going to give photoshop elements a try as well.

PS: I'M in computer hell...i'm here at school typing on a sticky keyboard on some computer with no brand name, a viewsonic monitor, and windows 98...i feel sick.