Free powerpoint viewer?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Reckless, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Reckless macrumors member

Just wondered if anyone knows of any free powerpoint viewers? I don't use powerpoint normally and don't really want to buy MS office but some friends sometimes send me jokes or pics set up as powerpoint presentations and I'd like to able to view them at home.

I know there was a version from MS for OS9 but again, I'm running Tiger and don't have os9 in order to run it in classic mode.

Thanks for any input.

2. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I'm looking for one now for you, but I belive your friends could save the powerpoint as a .pdf and you could view it then, it just wouldn't be as good.

I'll keep looking though.

3. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I don't see any kind of powerpoint viewer for anything outside of classic, sorry. :|

nevermind, I guess neooffice will do it for you.

4. Reckless thread starter macrumors member

Thanks very much to both of you for your input. I'm trying to download the openoffice now so hopefully that will work.

Thanks for the pdf suggestion but the problem is that these jokes don't always originate with my friends so they have no say in how it's presented. I have powerpoint in my office at work so there's no problem there - it's just that some are of the sort that my wife would enjoy seeing.

I didn't think it would be so difficult and I've never seen much point in buying office for my iBook as frankly for the little work I do on it (other than browsing) I find Apple Works fine.

Hopefully I'll be able to get this to work. Again, my thanks to both of you for your assistance- it's much appreciated.:)

UPDATE - just installed it and it works fine. Thanks everyone for the assistance.

5. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

That only works on OS 9, which the original poster said he doesn't have.

6. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

oh

:eek:

I provided the link for a presentation for my school. Never used it! sorry...

7. Bonanza macrumors newbie

Powerpoint viewer

Thanks so much for the useful info. I had been looking for a Powerpoint viewer as I also receive emails that I would like to view and didn't really want to buy Office. Neooffice works great. I am a new Mac user and love it so far.

8. Ruckus61 macrumors newbie

Neooffice

Just how am I to view powerpoint on the neooffice I just downloaded

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

just double click the power point file and it should open in neooffice

10. Ruckus61 macrumors newbie

I have tried that but MS power point comes up. I have MS office but not powerpoint

11. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You may need to select the file and hit command + I, then set the file to open up with NeoOffice. You can also set all powerpoint files to open up with that program in the menu as well.

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

if MS powerpoint comes up, then dont you have powerpoint??

regardless, right click on the file and then go to the drop down menu of "open with" and change it to neooffice

then you will be able to double click it and have it open in neooffice

or

when you are in neooffice, just go to file-open and find the file

13. Ruckus61 macrumors newbie

Thanks. I dragged the promo for MS Powerpoint to the trash and then NeoOffice opened the .pps file.

Again, thanks so much for all of your help