Free radio servers like Shoutcast

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Dynamyk, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

Me and my friend do a radio show a few days a week, and Shoutcast only gives us 32 people to listen, is there any other services or programs that will enable us to get more. We usually hit capacity after 40 minutes and it starts to lag. If anyone know of anything better please help out. Thanks :)

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Here is the Apple offering, if you want to try it out. (You don't need to buy OS X Server, the one called "Darwin Streaming Server" runs on regular OS X and is free.)

There are Windows and Lunix versions too, if your server isn't a Mac.

There is also a free version of the Helix server.

3. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

you must have one hell of a server deal to use that many connections and not worry about bandwidth.

4. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

yeah, generally streaming servers are the fastest machine I ever have worked with.

5. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

have you thought about changing it to a downloadable podcast?

e

6. Dynamyk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

We thought about it, but people wanna hear it live and hear the shoutouts and stuff lol

7. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

could do both... generally speaking unless you got the bandwidth and a tank of a server you probably aren't going to many users online. I did a lot research on this stuff while I was in college and worked in the field for about 2 years. The best model I've seen to pay for bandwidth for a streaming radio station was digital Imported station. they just took donations to pay for bandwidth and servers, and now they are a very commercial enterprise.