free resume check

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Nov 22, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    for about the third or fourth time since i have been here, i offer this free service to macheads here and i have seen dozens of resumes from macrumors members and have given tips to would be job seekers ranging from new high school grads to seasoned lawyers

PM me with your resume, or even post it here on this thread if you want (deleting real name and adress for obvious reasons) and i can help you target it for the job you may be looking for...also feel free to change name, phone, and address if you feel so inclined for privacy reasons if you PM me

still the best resume is usually one page on white or off white paper in this format:

what you want to do and what you can offer with your skills

put this if you have had some jobs before

put this last if you have a work history that is decent or put this second on the resume if you are newly out of school or want to pursue a job in the education field

and at the end of the resume, state that you have references (if you do)

...and good luck in your job searches!
  2. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2003
    that town east of ann arbor
    cool thread!! been lurking for a few years and never noticed you starting one up the past 3-4 times. i was just glossing over my resume, and noticed how much real estate my "equipment utilized" and "software utilized" categories take up. utilized... i hate that word. can you give me any advice on slimming it down? should i cache the lower level apps such as adobe premiere/pinnacle for a favored final cut pro/avid? should we even have to mention that we're fluent on either mac or pc platform/os?

do you really need an objective if your mid-level?

oh, and if you've won any awards - does that have its own category or would you suggest placing it as an achievement in the job experience?

thanks in advance!
  3. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    regarding slimming down a resume, objectives, skills

slimming down a resume can be tough if one is attached to a former employer or skill set, but if is too old for almost anthing any employer would want today, then leave it out

i have high tech friends who are experts in machine language, assembly language, working on the hardware side of computers during the vacuum tube days, and other sorted outdated high tech stuff

if you are an executive secterary and are an expert in excel 4.0 and won some sort of typist award on a certain type of machine that is no longer used, don't put it there

if you have a master's degree, you can post a bachelor's degree, but there is really no need to put down what junior college degree you have and what high school you graduated from, unless the job you are applying for is education related

if you have been in the military, there are some skills you can put down on your resume if it relates to the outside world if that is where you are going, but keep it simple

i have seem some strange military to civilian resumes that said the person was an e-3 attached to so and so unit with a special mos x.x.whatever specialty in some x.x.whatever training school at fort bragg...the civilian human resources person will probably not know what the heck certain acronyms mean and are more interested in what you can do for them

as for an objective for any level, including middle management, it is not a sin to state what you are looking for as many resume books have basic resumes made for even high level employees

as for awards, that can be fit into your work history unless you have won so many very important awards, then if space allows you to fit it on one page, or one and a half pages on an electronic resume, then make a special section for those awards and/or certificates

for instance...i have one high tech certification as a technician, so i put it in with my college degree on the education if i had eleven high tech certifications, i may make a certification section but perhaps put down the most important three or four certifications to give the general idea of what you are capable of

as for computers apps, if you can use photoshop or maya, it should basically be assumed you are computer literate yet the human resources person should not also assume that means you are a computer technician and programmer