Free Software that is like AppleWorks 6 or MSWord

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by slooksterPSV, Oct 25, 2004.

1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Does anyone know of some free software that acts like Micro$ofts word or like AppleWorks 6's documents editor? Windows has tons like AbiWord for example. Just wondering if I could get the same.

2. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

Open Office i found to be very complete, but it does look windows-ish and takes ages to load. Give it a try, as it is free and has excellent features. It's a shame Abiword has not been ported over to the Mac, as for Windows, it really rocks./

3. NCTRNL macrumors regular

With Open Office you also have to download X11

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Egads, what's going on. :confused:

Is this a thread to bring light to the cyber begging campaign?

Let's see if I can beat edesignuk this time :p

[​IMG]
    Edit: It's just the combination of the thread and the signature.

5. H&Kie macrumors regular

Ragtime

You might try Ragtime Solo (www.ragtime.de). It's free for private use. Only commercial users should pay. I rather like it :)

6. dcollierp macrumors member

Neooffice/J isn't bad either. It's based on OOo project except it doesn't need X11. There are a few bugs but it is a good FREE alternative.

7. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Where do I get X11? NM looks like thats only for Panther and not Jaggy.

8. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Wasn't OpenOffice.org supposed to be getting ported to native Mac OS X? I read it should have been ready about a year ago or so but haven't heard anything since. I downloaded OpenOffice.org but couldn't stand the Windows-like appearance or the hassle of having to use X11. But then I've got Microsoft Office anyway...

Oh, there's ThinkFree Office which is quite cheap I think. Not sure how good that is though.

X11 should be a free download for Jaguar as well. It might have only been a beta for Jaguar but I definitely remember having it when I was on Jaguar.

9. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Why don't you try AbiWord? ;)

Unlike the Stable version, the latest Development release is available for Mac OS X.

10. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

OOo says that OSX native port will probably not be available until 2006. I really don't think that using X11 is a hassle though. I dragged OOo to my dock and just launch it from there. X11 opens automatically and the OOo boots up. My complaint is that the interface is UGLY! It looks terrible on my iMac. Overall, I think that OOo is a great way to go. Seamless interface, ofr the most part, to MS. Good luck.
    Pete

11. tutubibi macrumors 6502a

tutubibi

You may want to check this thread for more suggestions:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=78466

I asked the same question couple of months ago and ended up using NeoOffice.

12. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I'm getting it right now, good thing I can dl at 163KBPS, cause otherwise with 25KBPS it would take forever. Thx for this software

13. tutubibi macrumors 6502a

tutubibi

KDE/KOffice

Depending on your level of expertise, another option may be using KOffice on Mac. I use KDE/KOffice on Linux but did not try it on Mac yet. It's probably not ready for the primetime yet, but looks like it's getting there.

More info can be found at http://ranger.befunk.com/blog/ and http://fink.sf.net.

14. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

I know this isn't what you asked but...

You can get Mellel, or Nisus writer express. They cost money but you are supporting good companies with a lot going for them. Does Abiword print yet? Anyone? Where can I check out neooffice?

15. King Cobra macrumors 603

http://www.neooffice.org/download.html

Some feedback about Ragtime: It cannot do a lot with spreadsheets. I downloaded and tried Ragtime with the potential that it could do more than Appleworks could with spreadsheets, and since Appleworks can't do linear regression (unlike my TI-89), I figured another program would. Right? Wrong. Ragtime's spreadsheet capabilities don't surpass those of Appleworks and still don't even meet Excel's capabilities. Otherwise...it was a little difficult to learn to use, and animals in small icons aren't my thing either.