Free Speech and Critics of Bush

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, May 4, 2004.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

First it was the Reagan mini-series, then it was Moveon.org's ad during the SuperBowl, and now it is Michael Moore's latest movie. I guess if you are going to criticize conservatives, Business interests trumps Free Speech.

NYTimes

2. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

the rest of the article is worth reading as well

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

so the rest of the freedom-challenged world would get to see this film, but the bastion of freedom that is the US would not. this is almost too much irony for me today!

4. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I think this one will backfire. It will be distributed some way, and I hope the RNC organizes picket lines in front of theaters. This material can't be silenced.

5. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I find the irony in that Disney is creating greater political controversy by refusing to release the film than by simply allowing it to play without the minor scandal.

6. numediaman macrumors 6502a

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

On the one hand, the conservative 'nanny movement' dictating what we should and should not see really pisses me off. On the other hand, Disney has probably just guaranteed sales of this film are high in the same way FOX's silly lawsuit against Franken's book did.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't know anything about Moore's film beyond what was posted about it here, but it seems to be based on Kevin Phillips' recent book, "American Dynasty." So why is this such a controversial topic when Moore commits the same information to film that Phillips put in print?

9. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    because many americans don't read...but most love to sit on their fat butts and watch a movie.

sheesh, most americans would pay to watch paint dry if it meant they could sit in air conditioned comfort and eat milk duds...

10. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Absolutely insane. I loved Bowling for Columbine.

Michael Moore is a good filmmaker and should NOT be censored. It's a shame that censorship snuck up on us through corporate America, not the government. Take Clear Channel and Stern for instance. The FCC gets touchy, and suddenly Clear Channel decides that Stern has to go,

Here's an idea, use the internet to distribute the film. We've got broadband. Sell it for $10 bucks. There are plenty of servers that would be willing to host the film if they got, say, .20 per download.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Feeling a bit cynical today, are we? As one who doesn't have a fat behind, but does prefer to sit when he reads or watches a movie, I still see some truth in your observation. Books just don't have the power they once did, at least not compared to the pop culture institutions of movies, radio and TV. Also, the gates-keepers in the movie business are that many fewer, so their personal opinions matter more, and the monetary stakes are higher. Moore will get his movie distributed, of that we can be certain. Right now, I'm wondering whether anybody who believes in the "liberal media" myth is questioning it in light of this and other recent events.

12. numediaman macrumors 6502a

Believing in a "liberal media" is an article of faith for the right wing. It is like believing in God, or that the sun will rise in the morning. If you stop believing in this, then everything falls apart.

The reason is simple: it brings them together. It's like the coach who says before the game "no one believes we can win this game, they all think we are losers -- let's go out and win and prove them wrong." Coaches say this even when their team is favored by two touchdowns.

If the right suddenly says "you know, you're right, we own most of the media outlets" they think they will turn to dust.

13. SlyHunter macrumors newbie

SlyHunter

Disney is not a member of the "right wing conspiracy"
    http://boortz.com/nuze/index.html

Oh another interesting read
    http://www.bowlingfortruth.com/
    example of lies in bowling for columbine
    This site is full of moore's lies.
    http://www.bowlingfortruth.com/

14. SlyHunter macrumors newbie

SlyHunter

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/05/national/05DISN.html
    As a private company Disney has a right to forbide publishing things that could alienate a large segment of their customers. They aren't just in business to make movies they have other activities that they also have to take into consideration.

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I wish I could remember where I saw it, but a few months back I read a piece by a prominent conservative columnist in which he decried the right wing's steady anti-press drumbeat over the last 20 years. It seems some traditional conservatives still recognize the press as one of the cornerstones of our democracy. Unfortunately, not only are these voices lost in the din, it may be too late to turn back the clock. Over this time, the media became too timid and commercial, and far too many people have grown up with the idea that comforting propaganda trumps truth. Something crucial to our well-being has slipped away, and sadly, only a small fraction of the population even seems to know it, let alone cares.

16. SlyHunter macrumors newbie

SlyHunter

So Moore is proven a liar again.

17. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I know that this is sort-of a pointless question, but I'll ask it anyways.

For those of you familiar with Air America, here's a thought experiment. Suppose that, for whatever reason, Rush Limbaugh decides that he would like for his show to be carried on Air America's stations. From a "strictly business" standpoint, Rush's show is one of the most popular talk radio shows in the country and makes a lot of money for its advertisers. Will Air America agree to broadcast his show? If not, is that censorship?

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

AFAIK Air America doesn't own any broadcasting stations. That's why they're having trouble staying on the air.

19. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Air America's audience would simply stop listening if Rush's program was aired. That is bad business so it is really a moot point. MM's movies have been smash hits and have garnered the distributors tons of money so it seems to be a bad business decision on the part of Disney IF their decision was made solely on economics. Doesn't Disney sponsor "Gay Days" at their theme parks? They surely aren't afraid of taking a political stand so there is no doubt in my mind that this is purely political and has nothing to do with economics.

20. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Air America doesn't broadcast to local markets, they create syndicated shows. Limbaugh already has such a structure in place. Now, if Limbaugh went to Air America and asked to do a show on their network, then it would be up to Air America as to wherther it would make business sense for them to produce such a programme.