Free Stop Motion software

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ghall, Nov 14, 2006.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Hello. I'm looking for some free software to create stop motion animation. Any body know of any? Thanks.

2. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

'istopmotion' will use isight or designated webcam (mainly firewire i think) its not free but it looks quite good, theres a trial, i enjoyed playing with it

3. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Oh well. Thanks anyway.

4. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

thats not to say there isnt any, do some searching,
    or use quicktime pro if you already have it, it has an import image sequence function, and a selection of frame rates

5. munchmime macrumors member

Free stop motion? you already have it.

EVERYONE OVER LOOKS iMovie!

when iMovie first came out I was playing around getting used to it. some of the stuff I put in were pictures of my brother and I throwing knives and tomahawks (yes, we have strange hobbies).
    the pictures were lined up in sequence. I just had to slightlly adjust the running time for each by pasting a copy after a picture.
    ex. in the timeline:
    Pict1 Pict1copy Pict2 Pict2copy Pict3 Pict3copy and so on.

this worked great. not to mention it's free.
    played movie, added song, exported movie....
    come to think of it, every so often I used ken burns effects on a later project like that to "pause" the action just before a scene change.

For stop motion, if you have a mac (all come with iLife?), all you need is a digital camera and a tripod.

you also could try slideshows in iPhoto if want.

6. tk421 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, but how many frames per second were you getting? I think iPhoto slideshows have to be 1 sec per photo, minimum. For stop motion, you want at least 10 frames per second.

7. Claw macrumors newbie

Final Cut Pro

Go get Final Cut Pro,

I-Movie is a cheap verison that only contains some special effects, if you want real non-linear video editing, go get the software that everyone uses in the graphic market. However, I would also go get a book on the software, remember, everyone starts somewhere, but its the research and your willing to help teach yourself that makes you a better designer.

Claw

8. FXRome macrumors newbie

9. RickSchmelz macrumors newbie

10. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

thats not buy apple btw. its just listed on their site. its actualy made by Philipp Brendel, as stated on that page.

edit: i have used the old iMovie 06 back in the day, (from when this thread was started:rolleyes:, and i got some ok results. some of my friends got even better.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keGj9Ei7ObQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suyQaw8qwkI&feature