free up hardware space (optimize HD)

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by lolbro, Mar 29, 2003.

1. lolbro macrumors newbie

Mar 29, 2003
    How do I free up my harddrive space by deleting unnessacary files like language files.

BTW, Are there a ulitily that can help optimize my computer. I already tried MacJanitor. Are there others one, you can suggest?
  2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    PLEASE try to post in the correct forum, there is a help/questions forum for a reason. :rolleyes:
  3. lolbro thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 29, 2003
    "PLEASE try to post in the correct forum, there is a help/questions forum for a reason."

sorry, about that...stupid me post on the wrong forum

BTW, thanks MacBandit for the links
  4. shadowfax macrumors 603

Sep 6, 2002
    Houston, TX
    definitely use monolingual, methinks. the other one just deletes everything but english with no other options... kinda disappointing, if you ask me. i'm one of those euro-bigots, i guess. English, German, French... and some asian ones. i don't know why, but always nice to have the option. i also took off the australian english but not the british :p
  5. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Jan 9, 2002
    Ha ha haaa!
    But what's the point? If you're never going to use those languages, why let them take up unnecessary space on your hard drive? At the very worst you could install them later on...

When I set up Jaguar with a fresh install I unchecked all the non-English language files and all non-Epson print drivers. Not only for time's sake (those extra files added like an extra half hour to the install process! :eek: ) but for hard drive space. Room's not an issue, I've got plenty of that, but the less non-essential files the better, that's what I say! :D
  6. MacBandit macrumors 604

Aug 9, 2002
    Springfield, OR (Home of the Simpsons)
    I did the same thing on install and I unchecked installing the BSD developement files. I wish I had installed the BSD stuff even though it's a couple gigs.

I don't have any issues with space either but there is always that chance that I could need that space so I try to keep things cut down if I know I will never need them.