FREE Video Joiner

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nickd06, Mar 8, 2006.

1. nickd06 macrumors member

Oct 25, 2005
    So I have 2 .avi files and all i want to do is make them into ONE file. I can't find a free program that does this for the mac to save my life. Windows has about a million programs that do this. I am attempting to do it in iMovies but it is going to take hours (on my old g4 laptop) to even import these 2 files...any help please!?!?!?
  2. jkballer23 macrumors member

Mar 6, 2006
    I've used this app MPEG StreamClip and it is quick and easy. Hopefully it works for you too.
  3. Josh macrumors 68000

Mar 4, 2004
    State College, PA
  4. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

Jun 28, 2005
    Brighton, UK
  5. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

Jul 14, 2004
    There is a really simple solution to this... all you need is the regular QuickTime Player (*not* the pro version). It lets you join clips for free.

1. Install Perian if you haven't already.

2. Open the first file.

3. Drag the second file onto the player window... it'll join them.

4. Rinse and repeat if you have more than 2 files you want to join.

5. Click the red button to close the playback window: QuickTime will prompt you to save your movie.

6. Save it.

7. You're done.
  6. holdencee macrumors newbie

Nov 23, 2008
    Problem with joining

Hi dolphin842! am a new mac user. took your advise on how to join using quick time--not the pro version, as you had said. problem is, i tried opening the first part of my split file but quicktime won't open it coz it could not recognize the file. plus, i had the perian software installed long ago. i'm kinda at a dead end so i hope i could be enlightened on this. :) many thanks!
  7. btasource macrumors newbie

Feb 8, 2009
    Dolphin Rules

Dolphin knows his stuff. Really easy also. Makelailai has the best intentions. It's a good software but unless you have some way to register iskysoft video converter everything is going to come out with a water mark. Besides the fact that it will only allow you 5 minutes worths with the free sample. Thanks Dolphin, very explicit and very simple. :D
  8. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

Jul 14, 2004
    It's the thread that just won't die! :D

btasource: Good to hear my approach worked for you.

holdencee: If you happen to find this thread again... I'm not sure what went wrong. Your best bet is to make sure all the files you're merging are in the same format and bitrate. You can batch-process files to a standard format using the free QTAmateur.
  9. smilinmonki666 macrumors regular

Jan 20, 2008
    dolphin842, thank you soooo much.... Your way is the most simple way yet.

Again, thanks.... Just a quick note though. Ensure the video is at the end before dragging the next file into the QT Window. That way you will get the files in the correct order.
  10. gvegastiger macrumors regular

Oct 4, 2007
    Its not dead yet.

Sorry to drag this old thread up, but hey at least I'm searching the forums instead of just posting. I tried using the QT approach however it saved it as a .mov file and I can't get iTunes to recognize it. The two files I joined together were .m4v and show up in iTunes just fine. Is there a setting I'm missing?
  11. CyrusOz macrumors regular

Mar 15, 2009
    I know this is a super late reply, but thanks so much for the quicktime solution. I just did it and it worked a treat and much easier than having to download and learn a whole new application.

one quirky thing I just noticed is that I had to open the 2nd half of the clip first otherwise it joined them back to front....

Thanks heaps
  12. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

Mar 20, 2007
    Clips are inserted at the play head indicator. Open 1st clip, move play head to end of clip, drag on 2nd clip. Should work fine.
  13. scooterrr macrumors newbie

Aug 5, 2009
    I've tried this with m4v files on Snow Leopard, but when I try to drag the second file onto the player nothing happens - it just kicks it right back to the finder window. Am I missing something?
  14. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

Mar 20, 2007
    I've had the same issue lately, and i think they've restricted the ability to join files to QuickTime Pro...not sure if you have pro or not, I used too, but don' t now, so I think that may be the problem.
  15. nuno1959 macrumors member

Oct 19, 2009
    Quicktime Pro joining....

hi guys

was searching the web for exactly this, found this thread, tried the Quicktime Pro trick & it works BEAUTIFULLY even though i'm in Lion.... :-0

i'm sure they made it that way for SOME reason but by comparison Quicktime X isn't THAT smart compared to good old Pro - thank god i kept it !!!.....

many thanks dolphin842 ! you made my day, now each time i'll go to bed by 4am because i was downloading You Tube 720p HD music videos by all my favorite artists, it's ALL YOUR FAULT !! ;-)