Free virus scan for macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Macsforcollege?, Jun 9, 2009.

1. macrumors regular

I got my macbook last Aug. Dont have any virus protection and i feel like doing a scan. anyone know of any good free virus scans for macbooks???

Perhaps a link too?
    Thanks

2. macrumors 68000

shady825

Google-> ClamXav

3. macrumors 6502

4. macrumors 68000

shady825

haha I was gonna say the same but I figured I'd just answer his question.
    FIX YOUR SIGNATURE

5. macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I'm glad you feel like scanning for nothing, as there isn't a SINGLE mac virus out there.

There're a couple Trojans, but you actually have to self-install them, and they're only found when you download pirated software (iWork/iLife '09 was the last set)

6. thread starter macrumors regular

hahaha.. thanks... i just felt like checking.. making sure everything is perfect!

7. macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Installing crapware isn't going to help you reach that goal ;)

8. thread starter macrumors regular

9. macrumors 68000

shady825

Yes. You must NEVER download ANYTHING on your computer.

10. macrumors 6502

I think you meant to direct that at Macsforcollege? Seems like he didn't see tonight's game.

Go Sox.

11. macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

No, he meant for macintosh.apple to add "collector's edition" to his sig :p

12. macrumors 65816

Quillz

If you want anti-virus software, get it. Just because you may not need it now doesn't mean you'll never need it. Unfortunately, as secure as Mac OS X is, it still isn't truly free from viruses. And one of the biggest reasons there aren't any viruses in the wild is due to low market share.

13. macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

There's a lot more to it than market share. One big one is the way that the Unix core handles user/program permissions. That is essentially what MS was trying to emulate with the UAC in Vista, which people hated.

Gizmodo Explains...

14. macrumors 65816

Quillz

Yes, I know. But don't write off "security through obscurity," as they call it, because, like it or not, it is a factor. Maybe not a huge one, but it's still a factor.

There wouldn't be nearly as many Windows viruses as there are if it didn't have such a huge market share. In fact, the vast majority of known Windows viruses came into existence in the mid to late 90s, when Windows really took over in terms of market share. Before that, viruses were much less common, although still more prevalent than on the classic Mac OS.

15. macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

My friend told me that back in the 80's, he put a floppy disc "virus" on his bosses Mac SE that made it have a "puke" sound every time it'd eject a floppy disc...

Mind you, that's how viruses were spread prior to the internet :p

16. thread starter macrumors regular

its always good to have virus protection. i will look into it and see.....

also, terrible game tonight.. 0-6 vs sox... awful, just awful. go figure ortiz hits a homer..

17. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Perhaps. But there were viruses for Mac OS 9 and it had smaller market share than Mac OS X. So, doesn't seem like it, does it?

18. macrumors 65816

Quillz

Yes, viruses exist for all the major platforms. But Windows is the most popular so it attracts the most attention.

I remember some novelty viruses back in the day. There were some great ones for MS-DOS.

19. macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

OS 9 was quite the OS for it's day, albeit outdated. I only ever used it at school, was it really that poorly secured?

Personally, I went OS 3-->OS 7.5-->OS 10.3-->OS 10.5

20. macrumors 6502

I found it completely hilarious that people would download pirated versions of iWork when you can download the full version from Apple.com for free. If you're going to pirate the software, do it the right way and just get the serial.

21. macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The issue here was people not wanting to pay for it though, not the means of distribution.

22. macrumors 65816

Quillz

The "classic" Mac OS was well known for its weaknesses, such as the lack of protected memory among other things.

Things like Talingent and Copland were supposed to be much more secure, but they never got off the ground. Fortunately, Steve Jobs came back and turned NeXTstep into Mac OS X.

23. macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

:cool::cool:

Thanks for that!

My experience with OS 3.2 (whoops, it was finder 5) was on the Mac Plus, well before the internet, and OS 7.5 was on our family's Performa 577 on the good ol' 33.6kpbs dial-up connection then the v.92 56k which was SMOKIN' fast for the time. Not much going on back then to even get a virus, too young at the time...haha

24. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Not for Mac OS X.

25. macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz