Free x86 emulators?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mechcozmo, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I have a game that won't run correctly in Windows 2000 on my PC. I want to play it however. Are there any emulators for Windows that are free? I don't care if they are for the Mac or for Windows. Just needs to be able to run Win95 or 98.

I used to have VPC 6 but that is broken in Tiger... not happy about that...

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

VPC 6 is working well for me in Tiger. It's only one of the advanced networking features that's broken form memory, nothing too much to worry about. :p

3. rccola70 macrumors regular

There's QEMU if you can configure it right...

4. Toe macrumors 65816

Toe

I'm not sure about their Tiger compatibility, but there is Bochs (which is open source and has to be compiled), and there is WinTel, which is a $25 packaged installer of Bochs so you don't have to compile it yourself.

5. Mechcozmo thread starter macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

For both Bochs and QEMU, are there sites on how to set it up? I looked at them and they seemed fairly daunting... also, what video card do they emulate? I need something DirectX 6.0 compatible ( :rolleyes: ) for this game.

Virtual PC seems to have an issue while starting up the game...

For the record, it is LEGO Rock Raiders. A great game, if I do say so myself. :)

6. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

DirectX is not supported in Virtual PC. There is no way that game would run above 1 fps in any x86 emulator on the Mac, even if it emulated DirectX. For an emulator on the PC, I think it would be far better just to install Win98 on a separate disk/partition.

7. Mechcozmo thread starter macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Meh... I have Windows 2000 on C:\, D:\ is where all the data goes (C:\ is very small, 3 GB) E:\ is... empty, don't know how big, and F:\ is Ubuntu.

I would have made more but then you get all the confusion with real and extended partitions... stupid PC-BIOS. This is on my Athlon XP 2500+ box BTW. The game didn't work in Windows 2000. The screen would go black but the overlays for controlling the game worked fine. :mad: I also ran it in Win95, Win98, and WinNT4SP5 compatibility modes. No worky.

I can install Windows 98 I guess... just didn't really want to for the one game. ~sigh~

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hmmm.... wait.

First: Google MacBochs -- it is available pre-compiled. And not too hard to run. But I just got VPC5 from Raven VII... and the difference in speed is astounding. I would be shocked if you would find MacBochs or QEMU from the Mac to be satisfactory.

Second: You can use Bochs or some similar program to run Win95 or Win98 as a guest OS on your PC. That *should* work fine for you -- no x86 emulation, just a virtual machine. So it should be quite a lot faster.

Here is a link to compiled Bochs for windows: http://www.psyon.org/bochs-win32/

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

For a more recent version, go here.