Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Ok, that's what it was... I added my Gmail account and the "auto-check" option then appeared in settings.

Since Yahoo is supposed to be "push", then I guess there would be no need for an auto-check setting... I guess that makes sense, huh? lol...

I think we learned something new today! That makes it a good day... ;)

AustinSTI

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
The push service appears unreliable at best...I've sent myself about 5 tests and they haven't been picked up. I've tried the advanced thing, deleting all accts but the one, creating a new account, basically everything on the forums with no luck. Hope yahoo gets this fixed...

McCarron

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2006
Am wondering whether I can use my gmail address as "Sent from" when I'm really sending from the Yahoo account.

I too need this feature, only reason I'm not using it now. Yahoo has a different "reply-to" address but it doesn't use that when I send email via the iPhone.

McCarron

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2006
It's really unfortunate too because I found Yahoo IMAP IDLE/PUSH worked great when I tested it. Showed up just as fast on the device as it did on the web.

sir42

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2003
NY, NY
I'll third the need for a Reply To feature. Actually, on my Treo, the feature is called Return Address, and it's slightly better than a Reply To option because email I send from the Treo actually looks like it's coming from the non-push email account.

I already sent an email to Apple requesting this feature. I suggest everyone else who is interested in a Reply To/Return Address option also sends an email to Apple. Perhaps they'll include it in the next software update.

point665

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2004
Where did you submit the feedback to? Ill submit some too, but just want to goto the same department rather than somewhere else :)

Lixivial

macrumors 6502a
Kinda neglected to give updated info. I've deduced where the auth-token is being generated from, but being that it's SSL traffic I'm currently looking into decrypting the traffic.

There must also be something in the iPhone itself and the way it handles the IDLE command with an account configured using the Yahoo option vs. the other options.

Thing is, as evidenced in the CAPABILITY string of the IMAP server, this isn't using IDLE at all. I've been working with another person to see what's going on, and he's found that notifications are being sent over the cellular network. This makes sense because the phone is sending its IMEI number over the wire to that yahoo API server. (see previous post)

The PUSH capability requires you to have cell reception. PUSH will not work if you've activated by other methods (bypassed AT&T, in other words).

Attached is the proof that this isn't traditional P-IMAP (LEMONADE) that utilizes the IDLE command. MobileMail.app doesn't support IDLE at all. At all. Then again, Mac OS X's Mail.app doesn't support it without a mailBundle either.

Mods, can you please create a new thread or make sticky?

Lixivial, are you working with any other forums? Hackint0sh? Wish I knew more about it and could help, cause what you posted was way over my head :confused:

That's not necessary. I haven't done anything here that's noteworthy, just some lowly network traffic sniffing. After reading your response I have cross-posted at the site you mentioned, yes.

Just to be clear. P-IMAP from external clients is not possible with Yahoo's current IMAP offering. I'm still working on Yahoo IMAP access from external clients, of which I may or may not be successful. Depends on what I can get out of the SSL traffic.

Attachments

• IMAP.txt
    768 bytes · Views: 404

iRob

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2007
How to Setup sbcglobal.net accounts using Yahoo IMAP service on iPhone

I was able to setup my sbcglobal.net account using the Yahoo IMAP service for iPhone. The solution is simple yet not the easiest thing to figure out on your own.

Go to Setting->Mail->Add Account->Y!Mail

Fill in the following information:
Name: The Name you want to display on the from line of your emails
Address: xxx@sbcglobal.net @yahoo.com (you will notice the @yahoo.com gets pushed aside after "@sbcglobal.net" is added)
Password: your password
Description: A description to identify your sbcglobal inbox in your iPhone

This should setup your sbcglobal.net email address using the Yahoo IMAP email service for iPhone without needed to setup a @yahoo.com alias for your sbcglobal.net email address.

Hope this helps!

sir42

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2003
NY, NY
So does that mean that mail will appear as if it's coming form your sbc account?

Do you think I can get this to work with a .mac account?

iRob

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2007
Re: How to Setup sbcglobal.net accounts using Yahoo IMAP service on iPhone

Yes, your email be sent from your sbcglobal.net account. (the From address on the email will read xxx@sbcglobal.net)

I am not familiar with .Mac email, but unless it is provided by Yahoo! Mail, as sbcglobal.net (a type of email account linked to AT&T Yahoo! DSL Service) I do not think this will work.

sir42

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2003
NY, NY
I am not familiar with .Mac email, but unless it is provided by Yahoo! Mail, as sbcglobal.net (a type of email account linked to AT&T Yahoo! DSL Service) I do not think this will work.

You're probably right. Bummer.

MacD

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2005
Okay, I have been playing with this and sniffing packets as well.

Here is what is going on.

Turn off your auto-check feature on the iPhone during the test.

Send an email to your yahoo account, within 10-40 seconds, the top of your phone (while email is running) you will see the "spinner" start churning and stop. If you send a "asdfasdfasdfsdf" "test test test" email, for some reason, it will not DING you that you have a new email. But, it did check.

If you send a LONGER email or forward a longer email you have in your inbox to your yahoo account, it will indeed give you the instant notification.

I have been able to repeat this time and time again. When you get a new email, Yahoo is sending some type of notification via the cell network to tell your phone... HEY, YOU GOT MAIL and it goes and checks the yahoo email account.

I would like to use my domain name, not yahoo. Yahoo does offer paid service that allows you to use your own domain at $10 per year, granted that is one email address. However, they make no mention of it supporting IMAP, nor is there any mention of IMAP on the free accounts either, but we all know via the iPhone it works.

But, I don't know how that works with the iPhone account, because you can't change your email address to anything different, unless Yahoo! changes it when you sent through their servers for paying customers with their own domain.

Without the ability to use the AUTHENTICATE XYMPKI functionality in the standard "other" IMAP setup, then your SOL for bypassing yahoo. I would imagine, yahoo WILL offer the ability to support this for paying customers on your own domain.

UNTIL then, you can also setup a auto-forward on your mail server to send emails to your yahoo account, get the instant notification, then go in to your regular email account and read/respond to the message, using the free yahoo account almost like a "notification" service only. This takes longer because you have to check your email and download it, but at least your know you got a new email very quickly.

I have NOT tried the forwarding feature yet to see if it works. Those who say it won't work by forwarding from GMAIL, this is interesting as maybe they are detecting the forward via the mail headers and trying to keep us from using their service for the very purpose that I just explain. I will give it a try and see.

MacD

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2005
Update:

No luck on the OTA (over the air) notifications that new email has arrived at my yahoo account right now. I have been using a packet sniffer to see what has been going on, and here it is.

Using your iphone, you go to the INBOX of your yahoo mail account. Check your email if it doesn't do it automatically. You can then send your self 15 emails and keep hitting refresh and they will never show up on your phone, but do show up via webmail online.

If you go back and click on the "Bulk" folder, it will disconnect your IMAP session to INBOX, and reconnect to BULK. YOu can then go back to INBOX, which does the same thing, disconnects from BULK and makes a new connection to INBOX and wham, 15 new messages waiting for you.

Because the Mail application on iPhone is not disconnecting from the IMAP server, the IMAP server is not giving new details when it checks, that new email is waiting, unless you force it to disconnect, then reconnect again.

Interestingly, if you have a second IMAP account setup with a different provider, and you go back and check that account, then go back and click on inbox again in yahoo, then it will get the new email, without disconnecting from the yahoo IMAP server. But, it is sending different commands through when you do this, than it does on a standard refresh without check another IMAP account.

Other IMAP accounts, seem to work fine, so must be something either with yahoo, or a combination of yahoo and iPhone app, for whatever fancy footwork they are doing to make all this happen.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
I would like to use my domain name, not yahoo. Yahoo does offer paid service that allows you to use your own domain at $10 per year, granted that is one email address. However, they make no mention of it supporting IMAP, nor is there any mention of IMAP on the free accounts either, but we all know via the iPhone it works.

I do use Yahoo's "Personal Address" service to have my own personal domain through Yahoo's system. When I use webmail, I can choose either my @yahoo.com address, or my domain's address. When I set up my desktop mail client, I just have it set up so that my 'From' address is listed as my domain's address.

The iPhone, however, doesn't give me a choice. I *ONLY* get to send from my @yahoo.com address. (Unless I set up a second account as a POP account using my domain's address, since I also use Yahoo's "Mail Plus" which enables POP/SMTP access.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.