FreeCom 160gb ToughDrive . . .

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by acearchie, Apr 3, 2007.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2006
    Does anyone have any experiance with this hard drive as I am considering buying.

If you personally believe it isnt very good please could you suggest a Hard Drive of the similar size, price and durability!

I know I ask alot but I believe real people who have tried out the product are much more reliable than the products website!!!

2. cowman007 macrumors regular

Mar 17, 2007
    Getting ready for Leopard and Time Machine???

nice nice very nice. No i haven't had any experience.
  3. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2006
    No suprisingly not! I just want a portable drive I can store all my films on and be able to take them around with my powerbook to watch them!
  4. Sesshi macrumors G3

Jun 3, 2006
    One Nation Under Gordon
    Obviously too late for the OP but I thought I'd pass on my experiences.

Recently picked up a dozen 250gb Toughdrive Pros to replace the 120Gb FHD-2's that I used. These would use the perpendicular recording and the size is now very viable for all sorts of uses. 100Gbish range was always a bit arbitary for stuff I wanted to do in media, but these higher capacity drives are getting very useful.

Appears chunky but not obese for a 2.5" HDD, and still definitely retains the portability aspect of these drives while giving you the additional insurance. They claim that it can be dropped from 2 metres but I personally wouldn't test that. Any hard drive is prone to damage from sudden movement while in operation and as of present, no external HDD has gravity sensing / parking to my knowledge. I have however dropped the unarmoured FHD-2's on a regular basis, including a couple of times onto a wood floor from a desk while the drive was undergoing a read/write operation and they have come through unscathed. So I have excellent confidence on the Toughdrives.

There's an inbuilt USB plug on the unit, attached to a rubber-armoured 2" length of 'cable', which is handy if you don't / have forgotten to carry a miniUSB cable. I think if you use it often outside for a few years the armour coating + cable coating might start to crumble (the 'rubber' used can be broken down by UV, and can also absorb atmospheric moisture causing it to become eventually brittle. But we're talking years, not months). The unit ships with a USB extension lead. Bus powering is not a problem on any machine I've used it on and I/O is pretty fast for a USB drive. Freecom supplies a 2-year warranty, which is better than some and certainly better than building your own from a drive + enclosure.

Sustained read/writes to this drive seems to result in no heat / performance issues despite it being completely encased in rubber/plastic. No complaints so far in terms of function. If you're in the habit of attaching labels to identify your drives though bear in mind that labels may not stick to the rubber coating, so you have just an area on the plastic end cap of the unit to attach identifying stickers.