"Freedom" frys - No more French frys

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by peter2002, Feb 17, 2003.

1. peter2002 macrumors 6502

NBC news just reported a restaurant in Beaufort, N. Carolina is pushing all restaurants in America to rename French frys to "Freedom" frys.

I used to work with a scientist. We did tests on fancy bottled water and tap water. The tap water is more pure than the bottled. It sounds crazy, but it is true.

And by the way, no more "French's" mustard for me. Just give me Wal-Mart's generic brand mustard. It tastes great on a corn dog. Also, we need to spay and neuters all these French poodles. No more French bread, just sourdough, but I won't give up my French kissing.

In a related story, President Bush will soon ban the imporation of French toast... ;)

Pete

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/South/02/19/offbeat.freedom.fries.ap/index.html

2. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Yea, I won't eat anything with the word French in it.

:)

3. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    yep, i'm not eating anything french either...

on second thought....;)

4. dotcomlarry macrumors regular

Off-topic, but 3rdpath's Einstein quote is most intriguing, especially since Einstein also said, in a 1941 letter to a pacifist: "If all young people in America were to act as you intend to act, the country would be defenseless and easily delivered into slavery."

Carry on.. :)

5. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I don't think France even has anything to do with French fries. Then again, what does freedom have to do with fries anyway? Freedom to load them up with as much salt as you like? Freedom to have a heart attack between age 40 and 70?

So since Valentine's Day just happened... what are we going to do about the French kiss? I think if it weren't for that, we Puritans would still be doing some kind of clothed touching or something and thinking that was risque. (Oops, I just used a French word... somebody quick give me a synonym)

6. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

I don't know if I can do without French dressing on my salad and tap water as recommended by peter2002.

edit: peter2002, did you just remove your salad and water reference..now I look foolish!!

French kissing must stay, freedom kissing sounds a little too kinky for me.

What about the French horn? Are we out to call it the 'freedom horn' (again a little suspect, and something that Michael Jackson might enjoy!)

All in all, we need our French friends, if only to make fun of. Anyone know any Marcel Marcoe (spelling?) jokes?!?!

7. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

one of the last things einstein did was include his name on a letter calling for the elimination of all nuclear weapons...by all countries.

einstein was always smart but maybe living through two world wars made him wise.;)

in closing: "Heroism at command, senseless brutality, deplorable love-of-country stance, how violently I hate all this, how despiceable an ignoreable war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action! It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." a. einstein

8. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Re: "Freedom" frys - No more French frys

This is because United States federal water quality regulations are more strict than the FDA regulations imposed on bottled water companies. Bottled water is an enormous scam.

By and large the United States (and most of the rest of the developed world) have the cleanest, purest municipal water any humans in history have ever consumed.

But the ubiquity of clean tap water leads people to take it for granted. People assume that low cost and easy availability means low quality, and in this case it's just not true. But some sneaky S.O.B. realized that he could exploit that assumption, apply effective packaging and marketing techniques to any old water, and make a fortune, as people pay more for allegedly higher-quality bottled water than they pay for the same volume of soft drinks, and far, far more than they pay for the same volume of gasoline.

Please note very well: Americans whine about high gasoline prices and then step out and pay several times that amount for water in a bottle just because it has pictures of waterfalls 'n' junk on it. Conversely, Americans will blithely pay outrageous sums for water in a bottle, but will go to war over the ability to pay a fraction of that price for gasoline. This is the kind of skewed perspective that tends to make other nations loathe us. It's not that we're evil. It's that we're farkin' stupid. And very gullible when people start talking about "nature."

But I suppose if we stop being stupid then the terrorists have already won. :mad:

If you must have water from a bottle, buy the bottle once and refill it. You'll have better quality water, and you'll have a 100% recycled bottle. If your municipal water tastes funny, a twenty dollar faucet water filter will take care of that immediately, and pay for itself in under a month of bottled water consumption.

And fer chrissakes, when some jackass finally ups the ante and tries to sell you "homeopathic" bottled water, SHOOT HIM.

9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

the fun thing about bottled water: you're drinking it to avoid getting contaminates and pollution (which as we've seen isn't true anyway)... but the factories that makes the plastic bottles put out so much air pollution that you're actually getting more contaminates and pollution in the long run--

now, you guys are kidding about this whole thing, right? freedom fries? if this catches on, i'm moving to ireland :p

pnw

10. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Leave it to North Carolina. :rolleyes:

What's next, we get rid of all French restaurants? No more French wine? No more brie or camembert? Round the French up into internment camps? Friggin' dumb.

Plus, freedom fries is sooooooooo lame. Its like an item from the menu of TGI Fridays. :eek:

I find it ironic that we so enjoy our freedoms, including freedom of speech and opinions, and yet many of us can't wait for the chance to beat up on another country (even go so far as to consider sanctions against them) for having a different opinion than our government's.

Our principles of freedom must apply to all entities, including foreign governments.

Taft

11. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

I'm with you on that one. Yum. :D

Taft

12. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, that is one French thing, that I would have to eat.... :)

13. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    oh HONESTLY

Gelfin, why haven't we met yet?! You're a man after my own heart, and obviously a fellow skeptic/realist. I couldn't agree more with your statement, and your web site is interesting as well.

The horror of how marketing and advertising has such a stranglehold on society is a book in and of itself...and I own several. We're not taught common sense and how to use reason and critical thought in our schools. A badly needed addition to the curriculum, IMHO.

Take the recent "Orange Alert" madness, couple it with a few well-placed "news" stories of how you can "protect yourself", and watch the sheep flock to Home Depot to buy boxes and boxes of Duct tape. It's Y2K all over again. Complete stupidity.

Not to be COMPLETELY off topic, I would assume that the idea of changing the name of French Fries to something as ludicrous as "Freedom" Fries will die within a week. However, one never ceases to be amazed at just how moronic we can be....but on this one, I'm not holding my breath.

14. charboneau macrumors member

Re: oh HONESTLY

ORANGE ALERT

15. medea macrumors 68030

medea

First off, they did this before by changing the name of sauerkraut to liberty cabbage during WWII, the only thing is WE WERE AT WAR WITH GERMANY! Not only are we not even at war (yet...) our war would be with Iraq and the middle east not France. Secondly the name sauerkraut was actually the german name for sour cabbage, french fries have nothing to do with France, we are the morons that named them that so they would sound "cooler."
    It is sad that there are people that have such hatred towards France already just because they dont want to go to war, you guys are no better than racists.
    It appears if we go to war we will see the French in this country go through what the Japanese did during the war, only thing is the Japan actually attacked us...the French are innocent.:mad:
    your sentiments make me sick.

16. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Beautiful. Perfect. Thank you!!:)

17. pantagruel macrumors regular

thank you for the "orange alert" link, that was brillant and I hope the people here will read it and open their minds a bit, dont be so narrow minded people and cut france some slack.
    you get a little over worked about it medea, chill out man it doesnt suit you, but I can understand.
    I myself didnt know about the liberty cabbage, good insight into whats happening now.
    were all going to be alright though.
    :(

18. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

as much as i enjoyed the orange alert link...and am disgusted by the osi...and rummy's basking in the spotlight...i could not find the actual transcript after a lengthy search on the dod's site. anyone else care to try?

there was some evasive stuff said by rummy( he hadn't seen osi's charter even though he's the sod, etc).

i searched by date and author. rummy was en route to santiago, chile on 11/18/02 but no osi stuff.

gotta check the references.

19. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Just what we need, next thing you know they'll be going back and redacting history and all the printed materials to erase these words to fit with the new simpler and more PC English language.

Sounds too much like the plot of a movie to me...

20. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Bottled Water

Is Italy a developed country? I went there and drank the water at the Hard Rock Cafê, and that night I got sicker than I had ever been

I was ****ting on the floor while throwing up, I lost 20 lbs, I was whiter than a ghost, i couldnt move, and didnt stop throwing up even if there was nothing in me.

Yes, I **** on the floor too, I couldnt help it.

21. TMay macrumors 68000

a little OT

Lately, I have been coming across more and more articles that dispute my tirade that this war is and will be predominately about oil. In fact, there seems to be quite a bit of support for the theory that Bush, et al, need to break OPEC before these countries fully shift from the dollar (petrodollars) as the unit of transaction for oil, to the euro.

http://www.ratical.org/ratville/CAH/RRiraqWar.html

http://www.rupe-india.org/34/pillar.html

Whatever your position on the Iraq issue, these make interesting reading.

22. rice_web macrumors 6502a

rice_web

Liberty Cabbage: if memory serves, that was a name used well before WWI began. The U.S. began to hate Germany before the war, but also before the Lusitania or the Zimmerman note.

Why?

I'll give you a cynical reason: money. The U.S. had more money invested in France and Britain than it did Germany, and Germany was winning the war. Many Americans would have lost a lot of money had German won the war.

Granted, that's not the whole story, but a German victory could have destroyed our nation's wealthiest individuals.

23. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Etymology of French Fries.

Well, it looks as though the term French Fries is an American invention, but we came up with the term because we got the recipe from, you guessed it, France.

They were invented in Paris and called pommes frites (a boring name meaning fried potatoes).

Full story, as well as a very long description of the origin of potatoes (Think they are European?? Think again. Ditto with tomatoes.) here:

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mfrenchfry.html

Taft

24. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Actually both the French and the Belgiums claim to have innovated the french fry, but expert opinion is split on where it actually originated from, Thomas Jefferson sampled them in Paris and brought the recipe home. At a White House dinner in 1802, the menu is said to have included "potatoes served in the French manner." But that's not how they got their name.
    Their commercial success began in 1864, when Joseph Malines of London put "fish and chips" (French fries) on the menu. His success inspired others across Europe. But they weren't French fries until 1918 or so. American soldiers stationed in France gobbled up fried potatoes. They dubbed them "French fries" and liked them so much they wanted to have them at home, too.

25. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Got that from the Gaston Gazett, eh?

Well thats one of about thirty different ways the story is told around the internet. Others include:

1)The Belgians ABSOLUTELY invented it.
    2)They are called french fries because they are "frenched" (cut into strips).
    3)No-one knows where they came from, but the American's credit the French, hence the name.

I guess, what I'm trying to say is that its pretty unlikely anyone knows exactly where they came from. What seems pretty obvious is that the Americans took them from the French (regardless of where they came from first) and dubbed them French Fries because of it.

straightdope is pretty good at summing up the truth, and only what is known to be the truth. Not the other, more questionable facts.

Taft