Freedom of speech in China and the net.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Dont Hurt Me, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Looks like China is putting on the brakes of what can and cant be said on the net. They want only nice stories :eek: which i read as anything against the party line will not be tolerable and off to jail you go.http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9489510 We have to remember that we still have a very communist China. Meaning the party not the people run the country.

2. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

And all the enterprising capitalists are gleefully setting up shop in factories that could, at any time, revert to state property. Good thinking, Wall Street!

3. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

How can you ever correct anything if you arent allowed to talk about it? Communism at its best. The Party is allways right and never does wrong,No need to talk about it on the Net. reminds me of a party i know here in the states allmost..

4. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I don't think China would nationalize foreign-owned businesses any time soon. That's simply not the direction the country has been headed for the past 30 years. China also wouldn't want to do something that would threaten its investments in the US. And I'm pretty sure they own more here than we own there.

5. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I noticed you didnt mention Taiwan which China has ok'd the use of force. Taiwan is over 50 years ago, i say forget about it you commies.

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Way before the existence of the Communist Party, China has had a very long history of centralised control and fear of external influences — interrupted by periods of massive upheaval and civil war.

In many ways, the continued existence of the Party in China and its activities is a contemporary expression of this desire to control things from the centre in order to avoid the tragedies and disunity of the past.

To put it bluntly, they have their own way of doing things and resent any nation telling them how to run their own business, crushing all attempts at rebellion and division ruthlessly. Doesn't make it alright, but a historical perspective helps explain some of what makes up the thinking of the Chinese political class.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China

7. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

It's hard to know with the Chinese what they are up to. On the one hand, Chinese people I've known have been very pragmatic and not idealistic which would explain their adoption of market policies.

On the other hand, they could be trying to make Marx's prediction come true. Marx predicted (in 1848) that capitalism would inevitably create a global market, bringing in all countries, even the most uncivilized in to it. The effect would be to break down all cultural, religious, national boundaries and make one world.

At this point, he thought, without their national identities, religion etc. to distract them, people would realize the truth of their exploitation and rise up and overthrow their leaders and make a world of global communism.

8. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Was there a reason that I was supposed to mention Taiwan?

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Not only are they doing that, but they also, in the guise of Yahoo, NewsCorp and Google, are not only complicit but actively involved in censoring words like "democracy" from dissemination in China.

10. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Wouldnt want to do something to threaten their investment in the U.S? Taiwan was the first thing i thought of when you said that.

11. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I think that in the long-run the Republican leadership wants to give up Taiwan because it's an expensive investment and business relations with China outwiegh Taiwan's importance. And on the left-wing there is less willingness to pressure China militarily, which is part and parcell of maintaining an independent Taiwan.

The handful of Taiwanese I have met all seem to think reunification is inevitable.

12. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Boy are you wrong, Washington is selling Billions in Arms to Taiwan so they can keep their independence from the Communists.

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

They don't seem like communists to me. Seems more like fascism or something. But hey, the conservatives aren't really conservatives, so what's in a name. Just seems funny when I hear the term commie liberal. If this is communism nowadys, that's an oxymoron. Like jumbo shrimp. Or compassionate conservative (again, using the modern meaning of neo-conservatism).

I don't give it long. China can do what it wants, as can the power hungry Washington bunch. Eventually people get sick of it and rise up against their oppressors. Any day now...

14. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Govts suck, Communists, Republicans, etc they all want to tell everyone how to think and live.

15. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Why are you telling me that I'm wrong because Washington is selling Taiwan lots of arms? Do you think that I don't know that? Why the condescention?