Freedom, the French way

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mouchoir, Jul 14, 2004.

1. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/france/14juillet/gb/14juill.html

Today is 14th July or Bastille Day as it is sometimes known. A testament that sometimes the people can make a difference.

This is in post is in conjunction with the gun thread we recently had talking about the 2nd amendment and armed militias.

Note: I am not suggesting or encouraging a revolution!

Thought it might be interesting for some of you that aren't aware of Frances history, and the parrallels of its constitution and the US'.

Below is the first verse of the French national anthem – after me:

Arise you children of our motherland,
    Oh now is here our glorious day !
    Over us the bloodstained banner
    Of tyranny holds sway !
    Of tyranny holds sway !
    Oh, do you hear there in our fields
    The roar of those fierce fighting men ?
    Who came right here into our midst
    To slaughter sons, wives and kin.
    To arms, oh citizens !
    Form up in serried ranks !
    March on, march on !
    And drench our fields
    With their tainted blood !

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That "sang impur" bit has always worried me. And it gets worse and worse: the later verses are a real orgy of blood-lust, xenophobia and pent-up hatred. Even the French are getting a bit uncomfortable with it.

3. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Bastille Day is a day celebrated the world over. My best wishes on the day to our French brothers and sisters.

skunk, let's not get into comparing national anthems now. :eek:

4. mouchoir thread starter macrumors 6502a

The orgy of bloodlust is due to the fact it started life as a revolutionary battle song.

The "tainted blood" has nothing to do with xenophobia, it is about their oppressors, who were also French.

But yes, I see your point and it may be a bit outdated in those terms, but more relevant at the time.

5. takao macrumors 68040

takao

national anthems...thank god a topic without any connection to elections or war ;) (at least at the moment)

that anthems are discussed is nothing new...look at the anthem of germany...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Das_Lied_der_Deutschen
    (still a point of disagreement between austrians and germans ;) )

didn't russia rewrote the old soviet anthem because nobody liked the 'new one' ?

6. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

While this worked out in the long-run, I still don't know how comfortable I could be celebrating Robespierre. There's just something about indiscriminately beheading people that unnerves me.

7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Ooo *rim shot*

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

A very good object lesson: he got his in the end, didn't he? What goes around comes around...

9. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Indeed.

On a side note, I was going to try to tie the going around and coming around in with beheading to arrive at some sort of pun, but after a few seconds, I realized that the result would be too terribly painful to justify the efforts.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Well done. Admirable self-restraint. :D

11. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Eh, it's a gift. ;) :D

12. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

If you think about it, the French nobles and royalty were probably all incredibly in-bred. In a way they literally had tainted blood :p

13. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

No picking on the French on their national holiday. Old Robespierre and the guillotine may not be something to celebrate but this surely is:

Declaration of the Right of Man and the Citizen

The French Revolution had a tremendous impact on the spread of democratic ideals and the end to monarchic rule. Both great things. It would also be worthwhile to remember that we had our own missteps during the early days of our revolution (remember the Alien and Sedition Acts?)

14. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I think it was actually Marie Antoinette and her counter-revolutionary Austrian friends they were talking (or singing) about. It's a quote from a revolutionary poster.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I don't know about ending monarchic rule. Europe was pretty heavily populated with monarchs after 1815, including France itself. Napoleon made his brothers into Kings, and he had some very grandiose ideas for himself as well.

17. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

The French Revolution had its Thermidor. Napoleon was a very complex figure that did indeed betray many of the ideas of the Revolution. How does any of that mean that the ideas of the French Revolution did not hasten the end of monarchic rule? To this day they still have an impact on political thinking. Give the French their due, skunk. At least they don't still have a monarch. Oh, by the way, don't you all in the UK have a bit of unfinished business? :eek: :p

18. mouchoir thread starter macrumors 6502a

nah, she's good for the tourists. even though I think technically she's commander of the armed forces, though she will never be allowed to do anything.

that's when there will be unfinished business :eek: ;)

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Oh, I'll give them their due all right. :cool:
    But seriously, you do your own country a disservice: the Universal Declaration of the Rights of Man was largely inspired by the US.

No, they have Chirac, you have Shrub, Germany has Schroeder, Italy has Berlusconi. I almost prefer to keep Lilibet when I think of the alternatives. If only they weren't such leeches. The Battenburg-Saxe-Coburg-Windsors, I mean.

20. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

LOL, I must admit I've never understood how a great democratic nation like Great Britain sees its way to maintain a hereditary monarch. Isn't the very notion of aristocratic privilege antithetical to democracy? Oh well, to each his own. ;)

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

LOL! Look at you lot!

Time for another "pot calling kettle black conversation", I think...

22. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

You do have a point there, skunk!

23. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

As in the Bush dynasty? Perhaps we both have a little unfinished business? :D

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

:D