Freescale's new 90 nm MPC7448

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by pilotgi, Jun 20, 2005.

1. pilotgi macrumors regular

AppleInsider is reporting about Freescale's new G4 chip based on the e600 PowerPC core with speeds up to 1.7 Ghz and a 200 Mhz system bus.

"Additionally the same customer application binary code can run on the MPC7448 and MPC8641D, meaning Apple could adopt the dual-core G4 chip for its mobile offerings down the line. However, by the time Freescale begins mass-producing the MPC8641D, Apple will likely be ready to debut a dual-core PowerBook based on Intel's Yonah mobile processor."

2. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

200 MHz system bus! *sigh* The G4 is a good chip, I like it. I think the longevity of the G4 would be much greater if it weren't for the awful limitations of the FSB.

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Show me the Hardware, not paper. Moto and IBM along with Apple have lots of Paper concerning the PPC but when it comes to product......

4. minimax macrumors 6502

1.7 GHz would really be disappointing. I can't see Apple upgrade the processor from 1.67 to 1.7 GHz, that's just pathetic bread crumbs.
    1.8 Ghz would be the very least, but I'd hope Freescale could squeeze out a 2 GHz and leave the PC market with a bit of dignity.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

way late for that one.

6. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Realistically though, a 1.7Ghz/200Mhz FSB chip that consumes less power than a 1.67Ghz/167Mhz FSB chip would be a nice little improvement. It's certainly nothing earthshattering, but it would be better. It would also allow the iBook line to go to 167Mhz FSBs.

7. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Wait, freescale didn't screw up and their facility didn't go nuclear when they finished and tested the 90nm process? :eek: :p I can't wait to hear how freescale can't deliver it because of heat and supply problems. If everyone else had problems, freescale will too.

8. jcgerm macrumors member

Too little, too late. Freescale is going to fall into the background as far as consumer/professional computing goes.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Poor Freescale.

why is PPC dieing? is there something hidden deep down thats just stopping it getting too fast or what?

10. pilotgi thread starter macrumors regular

I think the 200 Mhz bus on the 7448 can take advantage of ddr memory so it will actually run at 400 Mhz. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

11. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

The DDR memory would effectively run at 400 MHz because DDR memory read/writes twice per cycle. However, the FSB is still running at 200 MHz and won't allow communication with other devices to occur at 400 MHz.

12. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

But I thought this was a DC CPU :confused:

13. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

I'm surprised this isn't getting more discussion on the MR site given the rather desperate tone of many of the PB threads lately (still think my 1.5 GHz PB is very fast myself). Location perhaps?

14. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Lack of investment killed PPC I think. Sony and Microsoft were willing to pump some money into development and got what they wanted out of it. Apple can't really afford to do that, IBM would reap the benefits anyway through greater sales. It makes sense for Apple to go to Intel for the time being.

15. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Intel's Yonah will (should) debut with a 667 MHz front side bus. The chip will also use a revamped architecture that combines two execution cores on one piece of silicon. Both cores share one bus and 2 MByte L2 cache :eek: If I was in the market for a notebook, I'd wait...

16. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Thats an area where Intel might fall back........even the XEON's in Dual config share the bus :eek: :eek: PPC G5's dont ;)

17. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

Nobody gives a stuff because we are going Intel soon anyway. The Intel PowerMac is a ways off, but I suspect the PB will be out within a year.