Freeview for Mac...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by davidjearly, Jan 12, 2007.

1. davidjearly macrumors 68020

Sep 21, 2006
    Glasgow, Scotland
  2. davidjearly thread starter macrumors 68020

Sep 21, 2006
    Glasgow, Scotland
  3. R.Youden macrumors 68020

Apr 1, 2005
    Doubt it!

Sorry to say. To get Freeview I use EyeTV Hybrid and it works great. Really good reception, but not cheap! Saying that the alround use is very good, plus it comes with great software.
  4. iW00t macrumors 68040

Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    Wow if it really works I will kick myself again for spending so much on Miglia gear :rolleyes:
  5. Queso macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    It's not enough to just have the tuner. You also need software that can do something with the signal. I'd be very surprised if the software that installs with this works with OSX too. Not at that price. I mean, zoom in on the packaging. There's the DVB logo and the Windows one. If they'd coded it too for the Mac, they'd put the Mac logo there too.

You'd be better off getting the TVmini from Miglia. Not only does it definitely work with the Mac, but it comes with the EyeTV software which does exactly what you need. £59.57 + VAT.
  6. csimon2 macrumors member

Sep 2, 2004
    That's a good price for the hardware. Most likely, it is only compatible with the mac, but I would bet it doesn't actually include mac software. There is also the chance they are selling the hw with mac sw and most likely then the mac sw has been pirated. Anyway, the EyeTV sw you need to run this only costs $50. I think you will still make out ahead with buying this and the sw separately if need be.
  7. 7ttman macrumors newbie

Jan 10, 2007

I looked into this before xmas and after extensive research I ended up by buying the miglia TV mini after PCworld had reduced it by £30. What pursuaded me was the eytv software which you would have to buy to get any decent additional functionality beyond simply watching the broadcast.

Actually the eyeYV software works with a variety of sticks even some of the cheapos.

having got the gear, I then wished i'd got a stick with both analogue and digital tuners ... cos I needed to convert some VHS tapes to digital format and you can't do that with a freeviw only tuner...

Apple Store UK reduced the Miglia stick to £55... which is a good price, but probably indicates that something new is on the near horizon.

My stick doesn't do HD, but there are no broadcasts and by the time they are available, the hardware will have moved on significantly.

If you are thinking of streaming to a TV, then some words of advice. The raw eyeTV recording have to run through eyeconnect or converted to a different MPEG format and that's a little time consuming (even on my 24" C2D machine). The files are big and recorded in 576 lines so quality is good on yer telly. I have a snazio 1350 wireless and files at that resolution consume too much bandwidth, so I either have to connect via 100m ethernet or I simply transfer the files to an external HDD and play them direct from that.
  8. 7ttman macrumors newbie

Jan 10, 2007
    USB TV sticks

actually forgot to say, that I did find a website (no longer in my history) that listed out most of the available sticks and who manufactured the internals.... from what I recall, the internals of freecom, miglia, elgato etc. were all from the same component manfacturer, and linux generic software drivers worked for them... to find out more I suggest you start searching for linux opensource drivers which is how I came across the site
  9. Jowl macrumors 6502

Apr 13, 2006
    As has been said, it maybe compatible but you need software.

And paying for an EyeTV or miglia with EyeTV software included is well worth the small premium. EyeTV 2 is excellent - the best TV software I've used.
  10. Sesshi macrumors G3

Jun 3, 2006
    One Nation Under Gordon
    EyeTV is hassle-free and I would just get that.
  11. OllyW Moderator

Staff Member

Oct 11, 2005
    The Black Country, England
    The UK Apple Store has got the Miglia TVmini with EyeTV 2.0 on special offer until 31/1/07 for only £54.95 with free shipping.