Freeware Hard Drive test app?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by livingfortoday, Nov 2, 2006.

1. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Does anyone know of any freeware app that'll test the hell out of a hard drive? I need to test a drive on my Powermac that failed, and I don't have the original disks so I can't run Apple Hardware Test. I'm currently doing a 7-Pass write/erase in Disk Utility, but I still want something else.

I just wanna make sure it won't fail right away again when I put files on it. Any recommendations?

2. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Have you tried the drive manufacturer? They usually have testing software you can download to test your drive. They may not have a Mac version, but you might try there.

3. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah, Maxtor makes its MaxBlast software, but it's PC-only, and I only have Macs in the house.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If it has already failed and Disk Utility has tried its darndest to get things right, then I wouldn't rely on this drive. Getting an app to test it will just put it under more stress and make things worse. Sorry, but I really recommend simply getting a new drive. :eek:

5. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah, I already bought a drive to replace it, as it was completely dead until I stuck it in the freezer! I was hoping to use it as a 2nd backup for my most important files, just something where I could do a double backup, and unplug it and store it somewhere.But yeah, I see where more stress would just aggravate it more.

Dang. Oh well, it's served me well these three years!