Freeware maintenance

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by student_trap, Mar 25, 2006.

1. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

hey guys,
    im thinking of downloading something to run general maintenance tasks, i've been looking at macjanitor, anyone know how good this is or have any other recomendations?

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

First off, a quick search would most likely turn up some answers for you. :p

Main Menu is well liked. As is OnyX.

I prefer the first but... you can play around. I tried MacJanitor but gave it up in favor of the others...

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

These apps aren't really essential. I've heard some pretty bad horror stories from people who aren't fully aware of their capabilities so I usually recommend steering clear. Let OSX do its thing. :)

5. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

I highly reccomend Yasu... its very organized and only one menu... its so simple I can understand it..:D Look.. its only one window and does everything you could want for maintanence... I couldnt understand Onyx and the others. :)

Oh, and if you dont want to restart your system, just uncheck "clear system cache"... its no biggie.

Attached Files:

6. student_trap thread starter macrumors 68000

student_trap

ok so i downloaded main menu from the apple site, it was making my computer stall and kept being weird, not letting me drag the app to the apps folder. So i ran the scripts and then thought i'd delete it, as its been making my computer all weird and jumpy, and refreshing my desktop (weird). I tried dragging it to trash but the dmg and plist wouldn't trash saying it was an authentication problem, then they did trash, so i tried to reboot and then a screen came up saying that i had to restart my computer in many languages (a kernal panic?), well this has never happened before, and, i'm really worried, what should i do?

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You may have had a pre-MacOS X 10.4 version of OnyX. I have never had a minute's trouble out of it. However, I keep my installation updated to the latest version. Having said that, my general impression of MacOS X 10.4 is that these types of utilities are less useful than ever. The OS seems to have improved on its already excellent job of self-maintenance.

8. iBunny macrumors 65816

I use Onyx and Main Menu to securly delete unwanted temp files, and restore my OS to brand new... plus I can run maintence scripts, repair permissions, update prebindings, and reforce spotlight to reindex... its quite nice. I do it all about once a month and never had an issue :D

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Nope, I used the 10.4 version of Onyx. It even had options for Spotlight. I used it once and it wiped all of my comments. The comments were still there but in Get Info it appeared blank.