Freeware

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by NoCleverSNForMe, May 21, 2005.

1. NoCleverSNForMe macrumors regular

Purely out of curiosity, what kind of freeware is out there for the Mac, and which ones do you guys like to use?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You may want to be a little more specific because there are literally thousands of freeware apps at sites like Version Tracker as well as Apple's own download page.

Here's a pretty cool thread for starters though. :)

3. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

I like any freeware that's good and the developer wont suddenly start charging for after you've been using it for years.

Net Monitor was great as freeware, but the **** chomper decided he would start charging. http://homepage.mac.com/rominar/net.html

4. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

then write your own free verison.

5. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

No don't get me wrong, I have absolutely no problem with people charging for software that they've spent ages creating in their own free time.

What I have a problem with is something that's free for years and then suddenly you're asked to pay. You can't even use the older free versions of this software either.

6. Miner Willy macrumors regular

Moans about shareware

What I have a problem with is something that's free for years and then suddenly you're asked to pay

You mean like the iLife suite...

There's no such thing as a free lunch. Thank your lucky stars you got to use it for a while for nothing.

7. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

This thread has all the MR-approved ( :rolleyes: ) freeware you could dream of.

8. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Ditto on that. When I got my Powerbook (since returned) one of the first things I noticed was that you needed a piece of software to sort Safari bookmarks. This software was free until the release of Tiger, then they decided to start charging. So I removed Safari from my dock and got a real browser...