Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NoCleverSNForMe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2003
Purely out of curiosity, what kind of freeware is out there for the Mac, and which ones do you guys like to use?

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
superbovine said:
then write your own free verison.

No don't get me wrong, I have absolutely no problem with people charging for software that they've spent ages creating in their own free time.

What I have a problem with is something that's free for years and then suddenly you're asked to pay. You can't even use the older free versions of this software either.

Miner Willy

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2004
Bradford, UK
Moans about shareware

What I have a problem with is something that's free for years and then suddenly you're asked to pay

You mean like the iLife suite...

There's no such thing as a free lunch. Thank your lucky stars you got to use it for a while for nothing.

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
TMA said:
No don't get me wrong, I have absolutely no problem with people charging for software that they've spent ages creating in their own free time.

What I have a problem with is something that's free for years and then suddenly you're asked to pay. You can't even use the older free versions of this software either.
Ditto on that. When I got my Powerbook (since returned) one of the first things I noticed was that you needed a piece of software to sort Safari bookmarks. This software was free until the release of Tiger, then they decided to start charging. So I removed Safari from my dock and got a real browser...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.