Freezes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zagato27, Oct 8, 2006.

1. zagato27 macrumors 65816

zagato27

I'm running a G5 1.6, 1.2Gig ram with the latest update on Tiger. My browser is SeaMonkey. As to programs, nothing exotic: iTunes 7, Word et al; Toast; Adium; iPhoto. BTW, I have my wife and son as users with myself as the administrator. Lately the G5 has been freezing/locking up. I'll be using SeaMonkey and maybe have another program open and it just freezes. The only solution is to power off and then power back up. I have used the Disk Utility a number of times and will get the same problem. Occasionally, I notice that the fans start to spin up and know that this is a sign of impending lock up. Just yesterday a grey screen came up and told me I had to reboot. Help. I'm considering buying TechTool Pro or perhaps Disc Warrior to try and get to the bottom of the problem. Your recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Cheers

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

The grey screen is a kernal panic. Which is slightly worrisome. But I am curious if you are experiencing these freezes when using a different browser? Does Safari lockup? What about FireFox or Camino?

I am really not sure if DiskWarrior or TechTool will help much, as I think Disk Utility does a decent job of keeping your drive in good shape. You do a disk repair after booting from your System CD/DVD?
    In case you don't now how: Put the disk in and reboot while holding "C" until you see the grey apple. In the Utilities menu run Disk Utilities.

3. zagato27 thread starter macrumors 65816

zagato27

I really don't use Safari. I'll have to check to see if I get any freezes. I'll also try the the booting from DVD as you suggest. I can't try that at the moment but I'll report back. Thanks for your help. Cheers