freezing G3-help

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by thtsohan, Feb 19, 2004.

1. thtsohan macrumors newbie

Aug 5, 2003
    My mom is running OS 9.1 on a 400 mhz G3 powerbook. Just recently it has started to freeze very frequently. Often it freezes when she tries to shut it down or start up Outlook. I was just wondering where I should start to look to try and fix it.
    At shut down she is able to open the pull down menus, but as soon as she clicks on the option to shut down it freezes. The cursor is still mobile, but nothing else responds.

Thanks in advance,

2. HexMonkey Administrator

Staff Member

Feb 5, 2004
    New Zealand
    There could be several things causing this problem. Firstly, it could be a corrupt preference, but I think this is unlikely. Temporarily moving your preferences folder will show whether it is this or not. Another cause could be extension conflicts. Try disabling any third party extensions and control panels and see if that helps (This solved a stability problem I had when running 8.6 a couple of years ago). Failing that, try some disk utilities to see if there's anything wrong with your disk. Hopefully one of these will solve the problem.
  3. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Jul 22, 2002
    Almere, The Netherlands
    Update to 9.2.2. It does wonders for the stability for a G3. The update is free from the Apple website. Good luck!