Freezing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zorg, May 3, 2006.

1. zorg macrumors regular

I have a problem with Mac OS X freezing. Every once in a while, it just freezes. What happens is the colorful wheel starts spinning and I can only move the mouse, but not click or do anything. It lasts for some minutes. This happens when I open some applications too, but not all. Like mail, or itunes. What should I do?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

It's quite likely that you're running out of RAM and waiting for things to swap on/off the hard drive.

How much RAM do you have?

3. zorg thread starter macrumors regular

Well, this seems unlikely...I have 2 GB of RAM.

4. zorg thread starter macrumors regular

I just read what I said, and it might seem like it happens only when I open programs. This isn't the case. It can happen anytime; opening program, closing, clicking on a different program, or even when just surfing the internet. Anytime really.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Just for giggles, open up Applications->Utilities->Activity Monitor (when or after you see the beach ball) and let us know what it says for Free System Memory....
    While it might not be your problem, that is exactly how low RAM would show itself - when switching between apps or forcing them to pull portions off the disk.

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

That still could be swapping.

Try repairing permissions and running the periodic scripts.