Freezing

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by mattpen, May 27, 2002.

1. mattpen macrumors member

I've been having this trouble lately where the entire screen freezes and the mouse won't move. I never had this problem until last week, now my comp freezes almost twice a day. The only odd thing that surprised me is that once i restart, most of the preferences on my computer are reset to the default.

2. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

It would be helpful if you gave some sort of idea of what you're using. What OS, which mac exactly....

3. mattpen thread starter macrumors member

4. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

it sounds like you may be having trouble with your battery. what preferences are lost? the appletalk prefs and sum networkin stuff are saved using the battery. otherwise its prolly a software problem.

if all your prefs are lost, you may want to try re-installing X, and, if possible, re-fromat your disk, if reinstalling x doesnt work.

5. mattpen thread starter macrumors member

well usually it's finder prefs, mail prefs, itunes prefs, and sometimes login prefs.

6. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Have you tried zapping the PRAM? You'll lose all the personal settings, but that's happening anyway isn't it? To do that, restart your mac. After you hear the chime at the startup, press down and hold the apple, option, p and r keys, together. You'll hear the chime 3 more times. Release the keys then.

That might solve your problem. If it doesn't, try replacing the PRAM battery.

7. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

8. mattpen thread starter macrumors member

9. Choppaface macrumors 65816

10. crassusad44 macrumors 6502a

Or try an "fsck -y" after starting up in single user mode (apple + s under startup). Zapping the PRAM is also a good idea.