French civil service says 'non' to the Blackberry

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by BoyBach, Jun 21, 2007.

1. macrumors 68040

BoyBach

And my favourite quote that I've read a long time:

- The Independent

2. macrumors 6502

I think it's a valid point (maybe I've been watching too much 24 lately though :p ). That doesn't mean they should keep doing things "the old way" though; instead, they should implement a secure enough solution (one that doesn't involve sending their sensitive info to the US, and of course, heavy encription).

3. macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Misleading title alert!

(tho the article is a bit vague too)

As I read it, only the French civil servants (dunno the US term - people who who work directly inside a govt department i.e. diplomats and advisors, but not teachers or cleaners) are banned.

Anyone else in France is welcome to enjoy their crackberry.

4. thread starter macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Thanks, I've now edited the title.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! ;)

5. macrumors 6502a

on the other hand, the GWB administration likes to use non-governmental email accounts to discuss national security stuff.

6. macrumors 68020

killerrobot

LOL.

Why would stuff be getting routed through the US for French communications anyways, I'm mean unless it's between France and the French embassies in the US? But any phone can be tapped just as easily I would assume, and I'm sure the NSA eavesdrops on any international phone call as well. Hell, they did it on national phone calls. Ooops, that one leaked as well.:)

7. macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

Juillet is absolutely right in this. America does use sig int from Echelon and others for economic benefits to the US and to sabotage deals in the European interest. Former (CIA) director James Woolsey in 2000 admitted that America steals economic secrets using reconnaissance satellites and more. He also said that there was a greater emphasis on economics than terrorism. Ahh the mighty dollar.

In March, 2003 the United Nations began a top-level investigation into the bugging of its delegations by the United States using Echelon. The Observer, a quality UK broadsheet, published details of a memo sent by the NSA ordering a "dirty tricks" intelligence surge against Angola, Cameroon, Chile, Bulgaria and Guinea with "extra focus on Pakistan UN matters." The operation was designed to win votes in favor of intervention in Iraq. While the bugging of foreign diplomats at the UN is permissible under the U.S. Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, it is a breach of the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations.

It's an outrage and I'm glad it has been spoken of in public circles.