French 'Grey' Apple market on the rise

Discussion in 'Community' started by takao, Mar 9, 2004.

1. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i found that article on a french Site (www.hardmac.com)

and i have to say.. i am not surprised

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Usually the only problem with grey market items is that the warranties are usually null and void.

3. iGav macrumors G3

This is what I'm thinking too... unless it's a portable product of course, the risk of buying a cheap G5 from the states, and then having something occur would be an expensive nightmare.

The only way around it I can see, is to get a single item add on to your home contents insurance that would cover it in the event of failure, even then I'm wondering if you'd need to declare it as a grey import to the insurance company so as not to invalidate your policy.

But really, with such volatile currency markets, Apple could do with actively adjusting european prices (and other countries) come the start of every month, because at the moment, we're getting truly shafted by them. :eek:

4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Interesting how the portables have the highest percentages here, eh?

U couldn't get me to buy into a grey market product on anything.

5. takao thread starter macrumors 68040

takao

it's not about private buyers .. it is about retailers/shops buying them in the states and selling them here for regular price and making more profit than if they buy them directly from apple france
    -> not a problem with warrenty for the consumer

apple america -> american re-seller -> france re-seller -> consumer:
    high margins for both the american and france reseller and of course margin for apple, even with exchange of keyboards

apple america -> france re-seller -> consumer:
    france reseller makes less profit than above , guess who takes the big margin here ? right apple

there just startet a new educational special offer
    ibook 14" 933mhz, 256 ram, 40 GB HD
    +airport extreme card
    + Kensington Bag
    for 1399 € (the ibook normaly costs 1449€ alone )
    thats 1739 $ and thats a very good deal for apple

the deal is running in Austria,Belgium,France, Germany,Italy,Ireland,Netherlands,Spain,Sweden,Switzerland, and UK
    till the 30. April

reminds me of the australien Powerbook+iPod Deal for compansating the current exchange rate

6. iGav macrumors G3

I get that, but the desktops don't have international warranty coverage... U.S. G5 imported into U.K. will not have a valid Apple Warranty even if it's imported by a reseller, similar to the situation regarding imported Jap Spec Subaru's and Mitsubishi cars a few years ago, they weren't covered by the manufacturers warranty because they weren't official imports, even though you could source them through car dealers.

So if something goes wrong, and you have a problem with Apple accepting your purchase in for warranty repair because it's an import, then the reseller that imported them would take the hit to repair them within the first 12 months and also offer an equivalent optional 2 year extended warranty after that because Apple won't cover the warranty cost in this situation is that correct??