French Journalists Held Hostage in Iraq

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Lyle, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Apologies if this is a duplicate of an existing thread; I haven't seen it being discussed here yet.

If I'm going to be completely honest, I have mixed feelings about the two French journalists being held hostage by an Islamic group in Iraq (story here). The dispute is apparently over France's policy of banning head scarves and not the war, but this quote from Le Figaro really stood out to me:
    A different newspaper, the Swiss Tribune de Geneve echoes this sentiment:
    Both newspapers seem to be saying that they thought France had bought "insurance" against this kind of thing when they opposed the war against Iraq. In contrast, another Swiss newspaper, Le Temps, notes that:
    I sincerely hope and pray that these journalists' lives are spared, but we're quickly approaching the Monday night deadline set by their captors and it doesn't look like France is going to back down on the planned ban on Islamic headscarves.

2. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i hope too that they get spared...

actually the interest groups in france who where _against_ this ban already stated that they support the french government on the decision not to give in to the terrorists...

aka a short "i'll give you a hint: it's not your ****ing country" from both sides of the french domestic discussion

3. Leo Hubbard macrumors newbie

I was against this ban.
    I'm also against giving in to terrorist.
    hmmm :confused:

4. takao macrumors 68040

takao

you must be a french muslim ;)

5. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

I'm praying for the hostages' release.

My feelings too were against the ban, but I can only look at it from my biased, US-centric viewpoint, I don't know enough about France, its people, government, and situation to feel capable of legitimately "passing judgement" on it. Obviously France can and does pass whatever laws it sees fit, as we do with our laws.